Reading ohms on a Multi-value Resistor

Doug Roper

Joined Jun 2, 2015
That's what has gotten me befuddled. Looks clean all around and all the way down. That's why I questioned my reading but it doesn't matter as far as the Honda EW171 goes. I think the winding is shot.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Just a thought... Analog meters use the battery for resistance checks. When was the battery last changed?

Doug Roper

Joined Jun 2, 2015
Exactly would this resistor do in a Generator/Welder Control Panel? There is a Semi-Fixed Resistor also and it's reading towards 0 but it's adjustable. Would it affect the generator producing charge at the generator or just the plugs on the control panel.

Doug Roper

Joined Jun 2, 2015
You know I wonder if there is something going on with my multi-meter. It's only a couple of months old and the battery is still good. I had to check a condenser on a John Deere Lawn Tractor. Supposedly when you put the + red on the hot lead and the - black on the body with the ohm setting at is highest point, it's supposed to jump to zero and back then start charging. You are supposed to hold it there for two or three minutes then reverse the leads and you get a Ohm reading as it discharge. It doesn't do anything but If I put the two leads together I jumps to 0 indicating the battery is good.

Those meters, I think, have an "Ohms adjust" potentiometer on them and the battery is generally required for ohms or there are two batteries. One being a 1.5 V cell for the "ohms source".

It's important to short the leads and zero the meter for ohms. If you can't then the battery is dead. Can't remember if you had to do it on every scale.