reading HV electrical control drawings

jokey7

Joined Dec 20, 2009
Hi guys, I have recently moved into High Voltage maintenance having previously been a construction electrician. I must admit I am struggling to understand some HV electrical control drawings for rotating machinery etc . Is there any programs , websites, books or tutorials that I can read up on that will learn me to understand and troubleshoot electrical drawings. ? I know practice and experience is key, but I could do with a helping hand. thanks.

eng1ne

Joined Dec 4, 2009
Are there any standards quoted on the drawings? If there are, ask your employer if you can have a look at your company's copy of the standards. Look at your drawings and use the standard to find the description of the symbol.

What support can your colleagues and bosses give you? Have you asked them to talk you through a few circuits?

Not really sure what you mean by troubleshoot electrical drawings. Do you mean troubleshooting the actual circuits in the field, i.e. where you work? Are you responsible for maintaining some of this machinery?

http://www.discovercircuits.com/P/pwr-hivolt.htm - this website, from a quick search of google has links to some HV circuits. Though they are unlikely to apply directly to your job, but I'm sure there will be similarities in the drawings.