Reading DC Amperes

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by bumba000, Oct 29, 2015.

1. bumba000

Thread Starter Member

Oct 7, 2015
    Hi All,
    So I have (with much help) created a DC boost circuit discussed here http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/dc-buck-boost.116393.

This is my circuit
    [​IMG]

So I have two multimeters. I have a UEI brand DM383B and also a GE2524. Both have settings and probe locations for measuring DC amperes of up to 10A. I understand that I should disconnect the positive connection from supply to load. Connect my meter's positive probe to the now available supply positive and then the negative meter probe to the positive load lead. Leaving the negative supply to negative load as is (fully connected with nothing between). I get a zero on both meters and the load does not become active. What in the world is going on?

Thank You, John

2. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Post the data sheet for the ammeter

3. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Are you using the 10A current input terminal to the multimeter?

4. bumba000

Thread Starter Member

Oct 7, 2015
    I forgot to mention; yes, I am using the appropriate 10A meter terminal and have the dial set to DCA 10A.
    http://www.ueitest.com/sites/default/files/product-resources/DM383B Manual.pdf

I have just tested a small DC motor using my lab power supply. Connecting the motor directly to the supply and the motor works well. Remove positive and add the meter in series and the motor does not work at all and I get no reading on the meter.

5. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    Sounds like your meter fuse is blown

6. recklessrog

May 23, 2013
    I could well be that the meter fuse is blown, but first go back a little, is the red positive lead in the 10A socket, and the black negative lead in the com socket with the setting knob set to DC 10A?

7. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    It has already been said.

Is the Red meter lead in the A spigot?
    Is the internal 10A fuse blown?

8. bumba000

Thread Starter Member

Oct 7, 2015
    Yeah, I am using the meter properly I just have this amazing knack for overlooking the completely obvious. Both fuses in the GE meter were blown and just the larger fuse in the UEI meter was blown. They be measuring amps now!

Thank you very much, John

RichardO likes this.