Reading Datasheets help

Abhinavrajan

Joined Aug 7, 2016
I am a beginner. I find it very difficult in reading the datasheets for a particular IC.
I find it confusing as there are a lot of factors that have to be considered and there are lots of pages in the datasheet.

Can someone help me on what I should do to make it easier for me to read the datasheets?
Please help

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
I am a beginner. I find it very difficult in reading the datasheets for a particular IC.
I find it confusing as there are a lot of factors that have to be considered and there are lots of pages in the datasheet.

Can someone help me on what I should do to make it easier for me to read the datasheets?
Please help
Vague questions can only get you vague answers. Generally, there is usually a chart of "Absolute Maximum Ratings". Exceeding these limits will likely result in damage to the device. Then there is a chart of what normal conditions are like under specific circumstances. There is a pin out of the device showing different packages, if available. Often followed by a description of each pin and what it does. Often applications are shown that give examples of operations and perhaps a description of design features.

Given that, is there a specific data sheet you would like to start with?

Abhinavrajan

Joined Aug 7, 2016
Vague questions can only get you vague answers. Generally, there is usually a chart of "Absolute Maximum Ratings". Exceeding these limits will likely result in damage to the device. Then there is a chart of what normal conditions are like under specific circumstances. There is a pin out of the device showing different packages, if available. Often followed by a description of each pin and what it does. Often applications are shown that give examples of operations and perhaps a description of design features.

Given that, is there a specific data sheet you would like to start with?
I am just a beginner in electronics.
I have been assigned a sample project at my workplace.

Sample Project :
I have this microcontroller MSP430FR2310.
I am supposed to connect a temperature sensor, EEPROM, 2 Level translators ( 1. 3V3 to 2V5 and 2. 3V3 to 1V8 ) and an ADC (ignoring the internal ADC).

How am I supposed to select these peripherals? What are the factors I should consider while selecting these peripherals ?

The only basic factor I am looking is the voltage compatibility levels between the Microcontroller and each of the peripherals mentioned above.
Is my approach right? Or what should be my approach? Where else can I search for components?

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
I am just a beginner in electronics.
I have been assigned a sample project at my workplace.

Sample Project :
I have this microcontroller MSP430FR2310.
I am supposed to connect a temperature sensor, EEPROM, 2 Level translators ( 1. 3V3 to 2V5 and 2. 3V3 to 1V8 ) and an ADC (ignoring the internal ADC).

How am I supposed to select these peripherals? What are the factors I should consider while selecting these peripherals ?

The only basic factor I am looking is the voltage compatibility levels between the Microcontroller and each of the peripherals mentioned above.
Is my approach right? Or what should be my approach? Where else can I search for components?
Start with a data sheet for the processor. What kind of inputs and outputs are available? Digital? Analog?
Get data sheets for the stuff you are going to connect to the processor.
Fit the pieces together.
I say all this not looking at the processor yet.

Abhinavrajan

Joined Aug 7, 2016
I just came across a situation where some currents are negative in the datasheet.
I google and found them as sourcing and sinking currents. Can u throw more light with an example ?

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Design 816 sinking and sourcing currents.PNG
I just came across a situation where some currents are negative in the datasheet.
I google and found them as sourcing and sinking currents. Can u throw more light with an example ?
If the GPIO pin can drive high and low the capability must be specified both ways. When outputting from the high side it is a negative current into the load. When pulling toward ground it is a positive current to the load.

So an output that can supply up to 5 mA both ways can drive an LED either way. If the LED has 2.3 Volts across it at 2 mA you need a 510 ohm resistor.

Last edited: