reading camera pictures

cadogan

Joined Jan 20, 2010
i have an old 5mp kodak camera thats just recently broke.there were a lot of pictures stored on its internal memory but i cant access those through usb or anything.i was wondering if it is possible too build something too take the pictures off the internal memory chip so i can save them on my computer?i tried searching on google for a tutorial or something,but couldnt find anything.can anyone point me into the right direction?thanks

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
I'm not familiar with how Kodak removes its pictures from its memory, but do you see a digital memory card inside? There are some printers that will let you insert your digital camera memory card and retrieve the pictures.

Austin

cadogan

Joined Jan 20, 2010
there is a slot for a memory card,but i never had one in there.i wish i would of been that simple.i dropped the camera,and it just died after that.i was hoping there was such a thing as being able too read directly off the memory chip on the board.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
How did you retrieve the pictures before the drop.Since you are more
worried about pictures,try taking the camera apart and looking for a cracked curcuit board.
It seems you are not worried about the optilcal.So slowly marking each thing you do
look for the bad connections,learn more about the camera take the batteries out
that could erase what you have.

cadogan

Joined Jan 20, 2010
before i would just connect it too the usb and download them like that.the lens has a hair line crack going through it so,the camera is garbage.iam just hoping i can get the pictures off it.i had just taken it apart not too long ago and not much else i can see is broken except for the lens.i was reading somewhere else you would need a nand reader too get the pictures off.but they start off at $300.00.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
A lot of digital cameras store the pics in flash ram ..... look at the camera and see if you can identify the flash and see if you can locate documentation for it (datasheet) and go from there.... once you know what type of flash maybe it would be easier to locate or come up with a circuit to read it.... but it sounds like those pics are pretty important to go through all the trouble...
The flash should look similar to the ones in the pic, sort of rectangular with pins on each short side....

Flash Ram.jpg

cadogan

Joined Jan 20, 2010
i dont know what i did but all of a sudden it started working! i was in the process of finding the chip when i decided too put it back together and try it one more time.nothing beeped and the lens didnt move,but the back screen just popped on.after that i just rushed too plug it in,and ended up getting all the pics i wanted off it.the pics were mostly of my wedding which i forgot about taking them off the camera and putting them on a cd.just wanted too say thanks for the help,if i couldnt have gotten it too start working.:)

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
You are one lucky somebody. Remember: USE REMOVABLE MEMORY.

Ugg, trashed wedding pictures would require a renewing of vows. (this time with a professional photographer) ;)