Reading a Datasheet

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Attached you will find a datasheet for a U211B Phase Control IC. When reading these sheets, how do you know whether you are looking for AC voltage or DC voltage? Will it state it specifically or are you just supposed to know?

Attachments

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
So if I read this datasheet correctly, when referencing pin 2 (negative lead of DCV), I should get a minimum of 13.0VDC when I touch pin 3 with the red lead, correct?

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Did I read this wrong?
"If the supply cannot be taken directly from the mains because the power dissipation in R1 would be too large, the circuit as shown in Figure 3-1 should be used."
I do not see any rectifier anywhere on this unit. It has a single diode in series with a 6.5 K ohm resistor to the motor to pin 3. Also has the negative lead of 22uF and 2.2uF cap attached to it.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Okay so what voltage should I expect to find at pins 2 and 3? AC/DC? I am fairly new to this type of adventure but trying to figure my way through this.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
If you look at the datasheet, pin 2 is the ground pin so all readings are respectively from this, as its supplied on pin 3 from a half wave diode Negative, then all voltages on the pins will be Negative.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Okay I'm good with that. I am assuming these will be DC and according to the datasheet, somewhere in the area of 13.0 V minimum? When I tested it, I found around -16.0 V average so that part must be okay. Now to figure out my next step.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
You don't learn if you don't DO! I'm bound and bent on getting this thing working. I just want to learn from it and move on but obviously I am out of my league on this one. But I will learn from it.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
I have been trying to tell you guys for two months on another thread. People jump in, throw 2 cents in and leave. I need someone to stay with me to figure it out. Not trying to sound like a whiner but I need help. I really appreciate every answer I get here but I'm still not at the finish line.
In my thread "Need help with Phase Control and Triac, I have posted everything I can tell you about this problem but here is the summary.
Woodworking Router with speed control using U211B and BTA24-600BW Triac - not working with SC - works when bypassed
Replaced TRIAC, 1.5 pF capacitor, 22k ohm resistor, 380 k ohm resistor-No change
Replaced U211B
Unit now starts up, runs five seconds, shuts off (soft start begin??)
Replaced TRIAC with another new one - same thing
Replaced IC with another new one - same thing
Posted all voltages found while in operation.
End of story - starts/stops/starts/stops ....

Thank you Dodgy Dave for your input

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
To be honest with you I'm not sure. I have made a hand drawn schematic of my actual board but the values seem to differ from that of the datasheet and I cannot find anything that resembles a wire coming from the motor to indicate speed control. Here is my diagram.

Attachments