Re-writing your ancestry

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I refer you to post #55 and #57 if you're still unclear who the scotch-irish are. Also there is a Wiki entry that goes into more detail.
I am unfamiliar with calling a body of water a, "border". In my experience, Ireland is bordered by the North Channel, Scotland is bordered by the North Channel, but Ireland and Scotland don't touch at any point. If the North Channel is a border, then it would seem that California borders Japan. o_O

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I am unfamiliar with calling a body of water a, "border". In my experience, Ireland is bordered by the North Channel, Scotland is bordered by the North Channel, but Ireland and Scotland don't touch at any point. If the North Channel is a border, then it would seem that California borders Japan. o_O
I think the channel is smaller than the Pacfic ocean by about a few thousand miles. Either way, I refer you to my follow on posts, which are more accurately describe the regions I was refering to.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Weren't some Irish forced to move to Scotland by the British to rein in the Scot's. But it backfired. They joined forces and then both fought the British. If I remember my history correctly.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I would be a little suspect of any reference that uses Scotch to describe ethnicity.
Actually the word Scotch is rare in Scotland, you are more likely to hear just Whiskey.
Max.
If you have a more accurate reference, I'll read it. From the little I know, the reference sounds about right. As for the term, it's probably an Americanized version.

Actually, many references online use it, though I'm sure it's not the best term to use.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Also this (the author stresses there is no negative connotation intended when using "scotch-irish")

By almost any criterion, however, Scotch-Irish has been more widely used in the United States for the last three hundred years, and it remains so today. Two recent books have promoted Scots-Irish (i.e., The People with No Name: Ireland's Ulster Scots, America's Scots Irish and the Creation of a British Atlantic World, 1689-1764 and Born Fighting: How the Scots Irish Shaped America), but titles with Scotch-Irish have always been far more numerous.2 This can be shown by the holdings in any American library. For example, the on-line catalog of the Library of Congress has sixty-four books with Scotch-Irish in their main title, but only four with Scots-Irish, while at the Calvin McClung Library in Knoxville, Tennessee, the ratio is forty-eight to seven (six with Scots-Irish are by Mr. Kennedy). In many other ways the dominance of Scotch-Irish in the United States can be demonstrated.3
And this:

people of Scottish background were known as Scotch in the eighteenth century, so that term was brought to America, where it took root and flourished.
Source: http://www.ulsterscotslanguage.com/en/texts/scotch-irish/scotch-irish-or-scots-irish/

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I must say growing up in the UK, I don't ever recall hearing Scotchman used ever.
Its akin to using Scotch pine for the Tree, instead of Scots Pine.
I always wince when I hear the former.
Max.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Ok, no more "Scotch" Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to pour myself some scots whiskey.
An ice cream sundae with butterscot on it? I don't think so. Scot tape? Nope

I'd never heard the term Scots-Irish until this thread. I thought it was a joke. Ironically though, I'd also never heard a Scot referred to as a Scotchman. It's always been Scotsman and Scotch-Irish.

boatsman

Joined Jan 17, 2008
I would be a little suspect of any reference that uses Scotch to describe ethnicity.
Actually the word Scotch is rare in Scotland, you are more likely to hear just Whiskey.
Max.
Correction MaxHeadRoom. Scotch is WHISKY anything else may be whiskey but not from Scotland.