RE Square wave Project...

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by redlight000, Mar 8, 2010.

1. redlight000

Thread Starter Member

Feb 26, 2010
    To.Sgt wookie,

I'm Just enquiring on that Square wave project, you suggested to the other member run the Signal through a Op Amp, unity gain voltage follower, and put a attenator on the input..

Please Just for Learning purposes, what does a attenuator do.. I dont use op amps, but Have read up on them.. + whats the Primary Purpose of using a Square wave generator?.. (Basically)

many thanks
    redlight000
    :D

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Welcome to the forums.

Your question is a bit to the side of the original thread - http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=35264 - so I have placed it in its own thread.

Very briefly, an attenuator does the opposite of an amplifier. It makes a signal smaller.

A square wave may be used for testing purposes, or to turn a logic element on and off.

3. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Like Beenthere said, an attenuator turns a signal of a particular amplitude and reduces it; ideally without changing the shape or form of the original signal.

The most common use of a square wave is for providing clocks or other signals such as data for digital circuitry. However, they are also very useful in testing the effectiveness of signal filters, and many other uses.

4. redlight000

Thread Starter Member

Feb 26, 2010
    HI sgt wookie,

thanks for the replys hmm now Im understanding a bit better..

thanks
    redlight