RCA output from wireless Rx problem

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by ArchillesElbow, May 2, 2012.

1. ArchillesElbow

Thread Starter New Member

May 2, 2012
    Hi,
    I have a wireless video transmission that I receive and can output via a 2.5mm jack to RCA. This works fine one my tv...

I have a pair of video goggles (LCD monitor in the goggles), but cant seem to get the input from the wireless video feed to show on the goggles.

I know the goggles work as I can put them into my set top box (pvr) and watch movies or even play games from my ps3.

The only difference I can detect is that if I put a voltmeter to the RCA from the wireless feed it reads approx 0.4v but from the pvr it reads 1.5v... Is there then a problem with the signal strength or how do I fix?
    Thanks a lot!

2. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    U need a Video preamp in between

3. ArchillesElbow

May 2, 2012
    Is that like a signal booster? Is it easy to build one? - a micro one

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  4. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Video amps are not for beginners

5. ArchillesElbow

May 2, 2012
    Lol.. Where would I buy a micro or portable one? A quick google did not help

6. ArchillesElbow

May 2, 2012
    Just some feedback:
    I did get this working in the end.

Turns out the problem is signal amplification but rather grounding.

The board was taking its ground from its battery source and ignoring the incoming ground signal from the input video signal. I rerouted the input ground to the goggles control board ground and it works like a charm now:):)

7. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    So u had a connection problem.

Nice to know u got it working

8. ArchillesElbow

May 2, 2012
    Actually it wasn't a connection problem .. On its own or with a source that had an ac power supply it worked fine. But with a source that used a lipo battery vs the goggles which uses a lion battery there seems to be a grounding issue, and a common ground is not found. To overcome this I re routed the input signal(to the goggle) ground and by passed the internal battery ground.

9. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Make sure the battery current drain is not effected.

I dunno why I said this but concerning ground bypassing, its not a good thing

10. ArchillesElbow

May 2, 2012
    What are the potential downsides?