RC Truck Mod

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by johnrichfield, Feb 24, 2015.

1. johnrichfield

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 22, 2015
    Hey guys, I got a rc truck a while back and I'm just wondering if theres a way that I could hook up a relay or two (whatever works) to my back motor so that I could controll a larger stronger motor. All I need is for it to be able to go back and forth while still working. Oh, and by the way, could you guys please break your explanation up and make it less complicated for me? I'm pretty new to electronics. Thanks, in advance.

2. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    Guessing at what your RC car's circuit looks like, you could probably connect a relay with a suitably low voltage winding in place of the smaller motor, then use the contact to switch power on and off to the larger motor.

If your small motor is reversible and you want the larger motor to be reversible then you would use two relays, each relay with a diode in series with the winding so that one relay is turned on when the larger motor is to run one way and the other relay is on when the ;arger motor is to run the other way, and when the motor is not running supposed to be running neither relay is on. The relay contacts would take turns connecting the larger motor across the battery in one polarity or another (guessing that the larger motor is a DC motor).

3. johnrichfield

Feb 22, 2015
    Thanks for replying! Sorry, but I didn't get what you mean about the diodes. Could you please make it somewhat more basic? Thanks.

4. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    [​IMG]

The relay coil voltage should be about the same as the motor voltage.
    You can probably use 1N4001, 4002, 4003, 4004, 4005. 4006. or 1N4007 as the diodes.
    Other connections to the battery omitted for simplicity because they don't matter.

5. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    If you are replacing the motor, have you checked the motor controller to see if it can handle a larger motor? failing that you could check out a larger motor drive in place of the existing one.
    DC and BLDC are easily available.
    Max.

6. johnrichfield

Feb 22, 2015
    Man Thank you guys for your help! I've already looked to see if my truck could handle a bigger motor but I think that I'll just do the "relay" way. Thanks again.