RC filter Ripple Calculation.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by dileepchacko, Mar 21, 2011.

1. dileepchacko

Thread Starter Active Member

May 13, 2008
    Dear All

How to calculate the ripple voltage of the RC filter. The Input signal is a Square wave signal. Thanks

Regards
    DileepChacko

2. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    There's probably no simple rule you can apply. For instance if the RC time constant is very small (<1/5 of T/2) compared with the half period of the square wave cycle then the ripple will be the same as the peak-to-peak value of the square wave. After 5 time constants any transient term in the analysis will have 'vanished'.

For values of RC say >= 1/3 of T/2 (where T= waveform period) then you could come up with a ripple value which is a function of the peak-to-peak input voltage, RC and waveform period T.

3. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    For the latter case I would use the following relationship ...

V_{ripple}=(2V_{max}) \frac{(1-\epsilon^{-\frac{T}{2RC}})}{(1+\epsilon^{-\frac{T}{2RC}})}

Where 2*Vmax is the peak-to-peak value of the square wave input.

On reflection I guess this holds for all conditions. If the exponential terms vanish then the ripple is the same as the input.

4. dileepchacko

Thread Starter Active Member

May 13, 2008
    Thank you very much for this information, Is the ripple voltage depends on the load current of the circuit. I think the ripple voltage will increase, when the load current increases. Thanks.

5. russ_hensel

Jan 11, 2009
    The math is not too hard using Q = CV and ohms law ( and calculus ). If that is too much why not simulate with LTSpice ( free ).

6. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    Depends on what you mean by load current.

Do you mean adding a load resistance across the capacitor or reducing the resistance value?

The outcome will be different according to which of the two cases you mean.