RC car starting light circuit.

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Dozza, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Dozza

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Hi there.
    My son has been playing around with his rc cars lately and racing with friends. I was looking to make up a starting light set up for him. I have access to a heap of red and green LED lights and 12v relays. I was hoping to make something battery powered so he can move it around when they go out. I would like the circuit to have 3 red lights and 1 green. Hit a start button and the 1st led comes on and stays on. 1 second later the 2nd comes on and stays on. 1 second later the 3rd comes on and stays on. 1 second later the 4th (green) comes on and simultainously turns off the 3 other red lights. I hope that makes sense. Basically looking to do it as "cost effectivly" as possible. My basic knowledge has me doing it with 2 relays and 3 timers. Can anyone give me suggestion on how to do it with 1 timer or some sort of board i could order to make it. Hope it all makes sense. Thanks in advance. Have attatched a photo of a quick sketch of the circuit i was thinking.
  2. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Welcome to AAC!
    You could base a timer design on a CD4017 plus some logic, or you could use a microprocessor-based timer. The timer would drive some FETs to turn on the lights. Do you have a spec for the LEDs?