Rats Chew Only On Live Wires?

Jsw123

Joined Jun 20, 2009
I am posting in this forum because this is not really about electronics.

I was at a job today removing old wiring from a kitchen to remodel it. I noticed many of the wires were chewed bare by rats. Looking further, I noticed that none of the #12 wires that supply receptacles were chewed. (The wiring I am removing is only two years old.) It was only the #14 wires that supply the lights which are switched that were chewed. Has anyone ever seen this situation? Possibly it is just something different in the #14 but I am wondering if anyone has ever seen a similar situation.

If it is a sure thing that the rats will only chew through live wires, I plan to run 14/3 to each fixture so that there will be a constant hot at each wire. Any proven facts would be appreciated.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I've never heard anything like that. I suspect the insulation just tasted better on one group as opposed to the other.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
The real truth about construction come to light after a hurricane
hits a new develelopment,short cuts exposed.I was doing a project
to keep criitters out,after blocking small cracks the rats had no place
to go either,they were seen running back to sheds. They are good
chewers to meet there needs,food,nest. You need concrete,give
them a dime size hole and they are in.

Last edited:

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
You have got to be kidding me.

If this "rodent tape" is not embedded with poison, then this really takes the cake.

I have a similar story. At the shop we have two spools of wire sitting right next to each other.

One is silicone insulated and one is PVC insulated.

The rats/mice had a field day with the silicone stuff, but nary a nibble on the PVC stuff.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Maybe it would be good to put in mouse traps. They normally seem to avoid them but maybe a bit of silicone cable would tempt them in. Wouldn't need replacing often like other bait.

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
... I am wondering if anyone has ever seen a similar situation.

If it is a sure thing that the rats will only chew through live wires, I plan to run 14/3 to each fixture so that there will be a constant hot at each wire. Any proven facts would be appreciated.
There is a known similar situation, which is a proven fact. However, I don't know if it will prove anything about your situation.

It is known that sharks will bite on live underwater cables because they sense the electric fields. Of course, rats are a completely different species and class of animal, but it's not out of the question that the rats are sensitive to magnetic fields and may only bite on current carrying wires. I have no direct knowledge of rats to say if this is a common occurrence, or if they have any sensitivity to electric or magnetic fields.

I like your theory about the cables just being different materials better, but again, I have no real idea about this.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Thats true.
Sharks skin is covered with electrochemical sensors that are sensitive enough to detect a minnow swimming 100ft away.

They are like super sensitive hall effect sensors.

These underwater cables vibrate slightly and have plenty of current running through them to appear as a 'snack' to the shark.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
There been a lot stories on the intelligents
of rats.In New York city sewers,in the corn
fields of Asia.But no stories about insulation
of wire,but it is known that they will chew
on just about anything. Lets see some video
of wire and rats eating it if possible.Rats are
a good study.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
You have got to be kidding me.

If this "rodent tape" is not embedded with poison, then this really takes the cake.

I have a similar story. At the shop we have two spools of wire sitting right next to each other.

One is silicone insulated and one is PVC insulated.

The rats/mice had a field day with the silicone stuff, but nary a nibble on the PVC stuff.
I found the Honda service note for "Rat Tape".

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCkQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftechinfo.honda.com%2FRjanisis%2Fpubs%2FSN%2FA100800.PDF&ei=fwidTL-gF46asAOtwpzWAQ&usg=AFQjCNFHX_ImVy4y1Vq9Jh9dCp2O8qqFwg&sig2=XMdE_QnF_QnHRcsD1EOrow

Wash your hands when done!

Some might like the tape.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDZBzvTDhGU&feature=related

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Rats pretty much disabled the German tanks during WWII going after the wiring in the tanks in Russian cities. It appears the insulation was especially delicious to the critters, especially compared to the Russian offerings.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Rats pretty much disabled the German tanks during WWII going after the wiring in the tanks in Russian cities. It appears the insulation was especially delicious to the critters, especially compared to the Russian offerings.
That is very interesting. I searched on a variety of terms for WWII electrical insulation and came up blank. My best guess is that the Germans may have used cotton, glass or other natural fiber, but the Russians may have used varnish or rubber. Do you know anything more about it?

It is continually amazing how the history of humans and mice seem to be linked.

John

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I did a quick search for references, and couldn't find any. It was on a military channel about the Battle of Stalingrad. The winters were so cold the oil turned to jelly. The Soviets knew tricks the Germans didn't, such as putting a little gasoline in the oil to thin it down. The rats eating wiring was a lucky happening for the Russians, but they were glad to accept it.