Raspberry Pi Waveshare 5 Inch LCD Touch Screen Problems

zaferaltun

Joined Aug 31, 2016
Hello

I have Raspberry Pi 3 Model B, I bought Waveshare 5 Inch Touch LCD and following the installation instructions as told in offical website (please see http://www.waveshare.com/wiki/5inch_HDMI_LCD) but I have 2 general problem:

1) Mouse cursor is shaking and unstable while pressing on the screen as you can see in the video, I don't think this problem about calibration but maybe some configuration parameters. Please see the youtube video:

2) Touch events do not work as expected. For example jquery does not detect a touch event, only mouse events are triggered as I can see. When I start touching and tried to scroll, it just selects the texts on the page, I mean it acts like a mouse. I need touch events to be triggered or the screen behave like a mobile phone screen, because I need atleast scrolling a webpage by just swiping down, thats all.

I 'm awaiting for any useful suggestion. Thanks

zaferaltun

Joined Aug 31, 2016
I told the problem to the Waveshare brand and they replied me it is NORMAL since the screen is resistive. Normal according to who? I 'm not screen expert but all resistive screens have same problem?

zx80nut

Joined Mar 25, 2017
I have just received a HDMI 5" display by another manufacturer (Elecrow) and got here because I have the same issue with the shaky mouse cursor. So, apparently this is common (but not very good :( ).
Guessing it's due to interference, maybe the OS should average out the values to produce a stable display?

Using Elecrow's supplied Jessie image, I can't scroll by dragging - like yourself, it just selects the text on a web page. However, latest Jessie (March 2017) the mouse-drag does scroll a web page window. Must be a change somewhere...

I know it is quite a while since your post, but you may be interested that others have the same issue.

zaferaltun

Joined Aug 31, 2016
I have just received a HDMI 5" display by another manufacturer (Elecrow) and got here because I have the same issue with the shaky mouse cursor. So, apparently this is common (but not very good :( ).
Guessing it's due to interference, maybe the OS should average out the values to produce a stable display?

Using Elecrow's supplied Jessie image, I can't scroll by dragging - like yourself, it just selects the text on a web page. However, latest Jessie (March 2017) the mouse-drag does scroll a web page window. Must be a change somewhere...

I know it is quite a while since your post, but you may be interested that others have the same issue.
Thanks for the tip, I did not try new Jessie version but can be a solution.

zx80nut

Joined Mar 25, 2017
Hi.
This issue has been confusing me a bit, so I re-started with clean Jessie builds (again) and tried the various options. When I set the parameters manually, the window contents drag worked fine, but the calibration values are being ignored.

Using the Waveshare instructions (running the LCD5-show script), the calibration is then remembered/restored but the mouse drag no longer works (it just selects text).
I've narrowed it down to the /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/45-evdev.conf file. This loads the evdev driver to handle the touch events.

If the conf file is present, the mouse alignment configuration is used, so the pointer is in the right place, but drag-scroll doesn't work.
If missing, the configuration does not get used (so the pointer is mis-placed) but the drag-scroll DOES work !

Aaargh. So, no solution (yet), but at least I can now see what's stopping the mouse window drag working.

Oh well...

Grant

zaferaltun

Joined Aug 31, 2016
Hi.
This issue has been confusing me a bit, so I re-started with clean Jessie builds (again) and tried the various options. When I set the parameters manually, the window contents drag worked fine, but the calibration values are being ignored.

Using the Waveshare instructions (running the LCD5-show script), the calibration is then remembered/restored but the mouse drag no longer works (it just selects text).
I've narrowed it down to the /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/45-evdev.conf file. This loads the evdev driver to handle the touch events.

If the conf file is present, the mouse alignment configuration is used, so the pointer is in the right place, but drag-scroll doesn't work.
If missing, the configuration does not get used (so the pointer is mis-placed) but the drag-scroll DOES work !

Aaargh. So, no solution (yet), but at least I can now see what's stopping the mouse window drag working.

Oh well...

Grant
Thanks for your effort and the information. I had tried lots of things but no solution right here 3-4 months ago. I think we must write a custom code to simulate drag events and disable text select for our projects. Because resistive screens not like capacitive ones. Resistives focusing on a pixel, not an area like capacitives. So we cant success unless we dont use a niddle for drag events LOL

Best