Rapid is adding me to their site :D!!!

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Very nice and comlimentary article. What's Rapid, though?

It's true that domestic manufacturers are usually too expensive for hobbyists. You offer reasonable prices, but is the process fast enough for you to make a profit?

Moreover, in what points do you believe you have an edge over Chinese manufacturers, who have similar price ranges to yours?

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
You offer reasonable prices, but is the process fast enough for you to make a profit?

Moreover, in what points do you believe you have an edge over Chinese manufacturers, who have similar price ranges to yours?
Process fast enough? You order a board today, manufactured day 1, drilled day 2 and shipped. Total time for a board, varies but on average around 1 and a half hours. I have developed a special technique that allows me to make PCBs VERY fast.

Chinese manufactures cant compete with my prices. They ask for a set up fee which is fixed and costs around £20. For £20 you would already have a very nice double sided board from me with a solder mask (which is currently dodgy because the edges don't adhere XD).

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I see. You make compelling arguments. From my point of view, it all comes down to whether you want to do it full time and professionally and whether it is worth your time to do it for a few pounds per hour.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Process fast enough? You order a board today, manufactured day 1, drilled day 2 and shipped. Total time for a board, varies but on average around 1 and a half hours. I have developed a special technique that allows me to make PCBs VERY fast.

Chinese manufactures cant compete with my prices. They ask for a set up fee which is fixed and costs around £20. For £20 you would already have a very nice double sided board from me with a solder mask (which is currently dodgy because the edges don't adhere XD).
Yes of course setup fee. Laquer and silk screen also cost extra, for each side. But, it is not depend on the number of PCBs.

I think fine track is not so easy, as well small via's are nearly impossible.

For instance attached PCB. I pay 3 dollar for each incl. all fee's and shipping. They are 100% OK, and very high precision.

So, I end up with 150 dollar.

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Personally, I would like solder mask and silk screen for production runs. For proto boards I would rather skip the costs and save the money. I would focus on proto board service and not bother with the extra steps of solder mask and silk screen.

More importantly one needs to consider plated through holes.
If I were etching a board for myself I would plan the holes so than I can use a jumper wire as a plated thru hole. With DIP ICs and such components as radial capacitors you have to make sure you can solder to the trace if it appears on the top layer.

Most of my designs are now SMD components hence plated thru is not a problem on simple designs but becomes essential on a large pin count chip.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
With OPs labour cost, how much is the total to put 12x5 LED matrix on a PCB? When I send the LEDs? 3mm or 5mm. Or to use high brighness, low cost LEDs from a bulk bag. 5mm for instance should be straw hat.

And add SMD MOSFETs as well. Or 14x5.

I am abroad soon, so this is not asked for directly right now.

But, I only need samples 1pcs. for such PCBs. To see how they look like.

I can solder on proto PCBs, but it is a lot of work to add wire pieces for the columns, and solder the rows wires as well.

This would be ideal for such a single piece manufacture, and no plating required.

I think both 3mm and 4.8mm would be good for a sample, 12x5, 14x5, or even more variations. I will maybe work on such stuff later during the year.

The PCB should be tested with a depleted battery, so all LEDs work as intended.

PM me for an estimate (not urgent), or write as reply.