rapid cuff inflation system

djwilliams37

Joined Dec 19, 2008
Hi
I am looking into construction of a system whereby a blood pressure cuff applied to a subjects limb is rapidly inflated to o.3 bar and maintained at this pressure for a set time period. I am intending on using a PIC processor to monitor an electronic pressure regulator and I am thinking of which type of valve would be best to switch between the compressor and pressure vent off. I have only just started looking into this and was just looking around for ideas. I am going to use a standard mechanical pressure regulator just before the cuff for safety reasons. Any ideas would be appreciated
Cheers
Dave

djwilliams37

Joined Dec 19, 2008
Hi
Thanks for the reply. I am unfortunately not looking into constructing a blood pressure monitor type system but a system that uses a reinforced type cuff to restrict blood flow into a limb for a set time. The cuff needs to be inflated a lot quicker than that of a blood pressure monitor- but needs to be carefully controlled and pressure maintained accurately. I guess that I just need the processor to loop around the electronic pressure sensor and valve that switches between compressor output or vent of pressure for regulation.
Cheers

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
I understand that you are not recreating a blood pressure monitor, but the air control system is the same for your application. Only the compressor or air source size is different, and the above advice still holds. Looking inside a couple of different BPM models will very rapidly give you a sense of what kinds of valves are used, as well as their size, mechanical mounting, etc.

ak

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Yup, the main difference will only be the air flow considerations to allow rapid inflation. You could still get by with the tiny pump they use in the commercial devices, but add a reservoir large enough for at least one entire fill of the cuff. Some need for valving of the reservoir might complicate things a little.