Ramp-up rise time?

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
How does one calculate the rise time of the ramp-up circuit at PH1 in the attachment? I think the output voltage will be approximately 11.3 V; is that correct? Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
How does one calculate the rise time of the ramp-up circuit at PH1 in the attachment? I think the output voltage will be approximately 11.3 V; is that correct? Thanks.
Oh, about 5 time (R1*C1).

11.3V is a good estimate.

A useful equation for cap charge or discharge times is:

Rich (BB code):
                 (Vss-Vi)
time = RC * ln  ----------
                 (Vss-Vf)

Where:
RC   = Resistance times Capacitance (the 'tau')
Vss  = final steady state voltage
Vi   = initial voltage on cap
Vf   = final voltage on cap
ln   = natural log
The significant voltages in your circuit are
zero: where the cap starts off
0.7V: when Q1 turns on and the output starts to rise ground
12V: the steady state voltage

Note there is a delay time between 0-0.7V, and the rise time between 0.7 and 12.

Also note it theroetically takes an infinite time to get to 12V, and the equation will predict exactly that (so cheat a little on Vf).

Last edited:

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Thanks for the explanation, however I am missing something. I don't see how the component values in my circuit are taken into account by the equation.

I have breadboarded the circuit, and, using my DMM, I can watch the emitter voltage rise when the switch is closed. I can also see a change in the rise rate based on the size of C1, i.e., the larger C1 is, the slower the voltage rises.

This little circuit is intended to provide a turn-on signal to an IC that stays inactive until a certain pin reaches 8.5 V. So, what I am actually looking for is the time it takes for the emitter of Q1 to reach 8.5 V. When I use the equation you provided, the answer seems to be 1.23 seconds, which would be okay for my practical application. However, from a learning perspective, I also want to really understand the ramp-up circuit operation, and how to do the calculations based on the component values.

Any additional insight you can give me would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Thanks for the explanation, however I am missing something. I don't see how the component values in my circuit are taken into account by the equation.
Oops, my bad. I left out the RC term in that equation. I corrected my post above to reflect that.

When you get that 1.23 seconds, it is actually 1.223*R*C. So you have to include those factors to predict your desired response.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
When you get that 1.23 seconds, it is actually 1.223*R*C. So you have to include those factors to predict your desired response.
OK, so in my schematic, the time is still 1.223 seconds because 10k times .0001 (100μF) is 1. Correct?

And my final (maybe) question. Would a 2N2222A work just as well? I substituted one for the BC547B in my breadboard and didn't detect any change.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Vo = dV (e^-t/RC)
t = -RC Ln Vo/dV
RC = -t/(Ln Vo/dV)
R = -t/C (Ln Vo/dV)
C = -t/R (Ln Vo/dV)
dV = Vo/(e^-t/RC)
e = 2.71828183

Glad you could use one of these equasions.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
OK, 10K * 100 uF = 1.0, so in this case my on omission didn't matter.

I didn't consider the transistor in my answer. A 2N2222A should be OK.

One point: this circuit take just as long to discharge as it does to charge, so there is a lower limit as to how fast you can turn the switch off then back on again. You could change that by adding a series diode and a (smaller) resistor across R1.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Vo = dV (e^-t/RC)
t = -RC Ln Vo/dV
RC = -t/(Ln Vo/dV)
R = -t/C (Ln Vo/dV)
C = -t/R (Ln Vo/dV)
dV = Vo/(e^-t/RC)
e = 2.71828183

Glad you could use one of these equasions.
I appreciate you responding to my question, but I wasn't knowledgeable enough to use any of your equations without more explanation. :)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Darn. Maybe I sould put definitions of the letters in that blog. Would that fix it for you?
Rephrasing: What would make it useful for you?