radio waves

Discussion in 'Wireless & RF Design' started by bhuvanesh, Jun 19, 2014.

1. bhuvanesh

Thread Starter Member

Aug 10, 2013
    while watching video i have seen this statement "oscillating electric field oscillating magnetic field not electromagnetic wave"i dont understand what he really mean.thank you

2. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    What video?

bhuvanesh likes this.
  3. dougc314

Dec 20, 2013
    Without getting too mathematical, which I'm not really able to do any how I can say that an "electromagnetic wave" such as a radio signal has two varying fields, an electric field and a magnetic field. They are vectors and their direction vectors are at right angles to each other, and as they are two vectors, form a plane. The direction that the radio wave propagates is out of the plane. The Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell's_equations on Maxwells equations has a very good animated graphic of the E fields and I fields of an electromagnetic wave.

bhuvanesh likes this.
  4. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    and maxwell also says that you cnat have a varying electric field without a magnetic field, or a varying magnetic field without an electric wave at 90 degrees to it.
    one creates the other and both toogether are an electromagnetic wave.

bhuvanesh likes this.
  5. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    I think it better to say they simultaneously exist as the properties of a single entity and propagate together as real energy moves across space. Create implies one is caused by the other by a process that requires time (lack or presence of causality), so whenever the magnetic field is changing, so is the electric field, and vice versa is 'closer' to being correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdoL8IOwJw0

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    bhuvanesh likes this.