Radio Waves / Visible Waves.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by cjdelphi, Apr 1, 2009.

1. cjdelphi

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 26, 2009
    I'm curious if you use oscillation to produce Radio Waves which are long waves to that of visible light...

What if your oscillation circuit produced short waves of the light frequency? would your capacitor/antenna start emitting light?

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
  3. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008
    If you could build a dipole at the length of visible light wavelength, your "antenna" would be about the size of an atom. This is essentially what you have when an atom emits a photon...the wavelength is about the size of an orbital shell!

eric

4. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    Well ain't that just the basis of chemi-luminescence?, flourescence etc?

5. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Looking into a K band or higher frequency transmitter horn will mess up your eyes.

Not exactly the same way light hurts, but high energy at a high enough frequency to cause problems. Like very high dB ultrasonic air pressure and ears.

Isn't the color of the emitted light determined by the quantized "distance" the electron "falls" (shell transitions)?

6. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    No. The wavelength of the light emitted when an electron falls to a lower energy level is given by
    Code ( (Unknown Language)):
    2. E = [I]hλ[/I]
    4. where h is Planck's constant and [I]λ[/I] is the wavelength.
    6. This is known as Planck's Law
    Since the energy is quantized, i.e. can only be from a set of discrete values, the wavelength is also quantized.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck's_law