Radio wattage vs range

Razor Concepts

Joined Oct 7, 2008
What is the relationship between the output power of the radio and the range of the signal?

Say I have a 1 watt transmitter that has a reliable range of 1 mile. Now upgrade it to 10 watts, by what factor should the range be increased by?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
On some days my signal goes a few hundred miles. On other days it takes the long path to the other side of the world. I don't think you can come up with a simple calculation that covers it. On the 6M band in the summertime I have a pipeline to Florida and Texas courtesy of Sporadic E-skip which is among the least understood propagation modes. I'm also getting into FSK441 Meteor Scatter propagation - talk about hit or miss communications.

I spend more time building and using directional resonant antennas than I spend building large amplifiers. Does that give you a clue about bang for the buck?

JMW

Joined Nov 21, 2011
I had a 6watt transmitter with 40 feet of 7/8 heliax connected to a 12 db gain antenna. transmitted to a geo synchronous satellite with no problems. The Voyager series of satellites beat this on a regular basis.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
If the ONLY variable that is at play is output power, then in many situations the inverse square law should provide a useful guide. But there are many other factors that can nullify that. For instance, if your signal is propagating through a duct of some kind, increasing the power won't increase the length of the duct in any meaningful way. But since you are talking about distances on the order of a mile, these other factors should be much at play for you.

JMW

Joined Nov 21, 2011
If you are referring to the little "family" series of radios, you MAY find a small difference between 1 watt and 5 watts. The VHF series have 1 watt the UHF 2. If you were to buy a commercial 5 watt VHF, you may get to 3 miles. Again all depends on many variables. Power line noise, open field or water vs urban NYC environment. Weather conditions such as fog or heavy rain or snow will influence UHF. A useful analogy would be to place a 2 watt night light bulb in a window. If you can see the light, you can probably talk. Windows, and wood frame homes are transparent. Concrete may act as a mirror, or more probably a blanket.
However the USCG states that they can receive a 1 watt signal on Channel 16, 25 miles at sea. And these are "nautical" 6000 foot miles.