Radio Shack Zips

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It has been so long since RS had anything I (or anybody else) needed that the local store went out of business. No way to answer your question from where I am.

ps, happy to see an appropriate law on the books.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
They used to ask me for my name, so I said John Cash.
They tried to ask me for my phone number, so I said 555-1212
They haven't asked for the zipper.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
This comment makes me think that plenty of retailers are still doing this:

"I've been told they need it to confirm the use of my debit and credit card purchase. I said I'll pay cash, they said they need it so the store can help understand where their customers come from.
When I said no, the cashier did not know what to do and called the supervisor. The super actually said they needed it for security and needed to input it into the system for the transaction to go thru.
Corporate management BS passed on to cashiers and customers
After that anytime they asked for it, I said 99762, it is Nome Alaska zip
I left the store with about $575 worth of merchandise on the counter and still in the carriage.
I never went into Best Buy again."

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Not much of a loss to never go to Best By. The last time I was there, the minimum priced mouse was $39.95.:eek:

No wonder they're being killed by internet sales!

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Not much of a loss to never go to Best By. The last time I was there, the minimum priced mouse was $39.95.:eek:

No wonder they're being killed by internet sales!
For me I never shop at best buy unless they have awesome sale or something I really need and can't wait..

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have been guilty of buying there, but they had my favorite Netgear router on sale for less than a mouse!

$29.95 for the router and $39.95 for a mouse. Go figure.:confused:

Right now, I need some blank DVDs, 2 LED mice, and a usb keyboard. The worst part is that I'll be within 1/2 mile of Best Buy today. I wonder if they're open. More than that, I wonder if they have any mice or keyboards under $20.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
I recently purchased some rechargeable AA cells from RS. They were on sale - 4 for 5.99. I grabbed up 3 packs.

about twenty years ago I purchased some small bookshelf speakers.

That about sums up my RS purchases for this lifetime. Cash talks. If you don't want to give out your ZIP then pay with cash. They used to ask for an address back in the day. The idea was to send you a catalog in the mail. Remember mail? the kind with stamps and lick to stick envelopes? :)

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
I recently purchased some rechargeable AA cells from RS. They were on sale - 4 for 5.99. I grabbed up 3 packs.

about twenty years ago I purchased some small bookshelf speakers.

That about sums up my RS purchases for this lifetime. Cash talks. If you don't want to give out your ZIP then pay with cash. They used to ask for an address back in the day. The idea was to send you a catalog in the mail. Remember mail? the kind with stamps and lick to stick envelopes? :)

Yes, I was even in their "Battery a Month" club for years.:D

But paying in cash, they still wanted my Zip.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
When you lose or misplace your receipt ,there zip system saves you money. I use

it for warranty replacement. I was surprised how much warranty I had when the guy

told me to give him the right Info. They keep your zip ,your phone information ,you would

have to be living under a rock not to know how much privacy you have worldwide.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Several years back Radio Shack actually had a major press release stating they would never again ask you for your name and address for a simple cash transaction; perhaps they do if you pay by check.

I still shop the Shack but only for a very few things they have when I need them RIGHT NOW. Otherwise I buy online and have them shipped in from I know not nor care not where.

I do feel a bit embarrassed as my typical order never goes over $10, most even under $5.

They do request my email, and offer some e-coupons if I play along. I've done so and get $10 off my next order of $50.

Not a bad deal but not gonna happen either.

If you have some time do stop in to a Shack, they have some neat stuff like Schmart boards, Arduino boards, and the like.