Radio Shack Bites The Dust

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
HGR in Euclid is still alive and well. Fun place to visit. Ask for Marshall; although, any sales person will help. I was told at one time that it processes 17 truckloads of surplus a day!

I have never tried their free food. ;)

John
@Reloadron @shortbus

I don't know exactly where you guys are in Ohio but This dumpy little place in Akron isn't exactly clearance stuff but they have all the NTE semiconductors, and passive components you may need for most projects. They are near campus in Akron

http://www.philcap.us/In_our_store.html

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Went to a local closing store today. One of the liquidator reps was there so I asked about buying the parts drawers. She left a message for someone to call her back about selling them, when her phone rang with the answer the ring-tone was the theme song from the 'Walking Dead'. :eek: The poor sales droid behind the counter face just went blank.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
@Reloadron @shortbus

I don't know exactly where you guys are in Ohio but This dumpy little place in Akron isn't exactly clearance stuff but they have all the NTE semiconductors, and passive components you may need for most projects. They are near campus in Akron

http://www.philcap.us/In_our_store.html

And for you, there is Hosfelt in Steubenville

http://www.hosfelt.com/en-us/toc.html

Yeah a bit of a drive for you. :)

Have not been there in a while not sure if he is still in business.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The one with RS-232 interface. I have a couple of those. Maybe.
The TRASH80 (TRS80) is certainly a collector's item for those like me who like to collect trash.
Nothing so elaborate... I think it was 1977 when I picked up this beauty....
I think it was a paper route funded 9.99 (a lot in those days for not much).

It reads 10 volts at 12 volt input (or was that it reads 12 volt at 10 v input...?). Anyhow, I haven't used it in so long that it may have drifted back into calibration by now.

Now, the buck knife I bought for $9.99 about $5 years earlier seems like a much better deal today than that meter!

image.jpg

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have one of those Micronta meters!
It's probably in good condition because there is not a chance that I wore it out. :D

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
When I went today, there was a 90% discount on electronic components. I couldn't believe that I could get 3 motors and 2 slide switches for just $1.45! (That's not a typo.)

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
By "there", do you mean your local store? I may need to run down there tomorrow. 90% gets my attention.
Yes, in Delaware. The sign where the electronic components were said 70% off, so I was pleasantly surprised at the checkout counter.

As of today, my local one is only open 8 more days. There was also a sign that said the fixtures (I'm not exactly sure what that means, maybe just the drawers) were for sale for $300.

Last edited: