Radio Shack Bites The Dust

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
Thanks, I was looking for something like that before. It confirms that the two stores nearest me are closing.

When I was down at one of the stores earlier this week, I noticed something peculiar. In one window there was a sign saying "Clearance: up to 60% off", and in another window there was a sign listing the store's hours which said at the bottom "Now Hiring".o_O I assume the hours sign was just an old one that they didn't bother to cut the bottom off of.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Thanks, I was looking for something like that before. It confirms that the two stores nearest me are closing.

When I was down at one of the stores earlier this week, I noticed something peculiar. In one window there was a sign saying "Clearance: up to 60% off", and in another window there was a sign listing the store's hours which said at the bottom "Now Hiring".o_O I assume the hours sign was just an old one that they didn't bother to cut the bottom off of.
Maybe they're hiring removal services?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Needed a small motor yesterday so went to the local Radio Shack. Felt real bad for the two girls who work that store as over the past year they worked hard to clean the place up. All the stores will be closing, poor kid had tears in her eyes. They had a good stock of Arduino stuff, shields and other stuff as well as Velleman kits. Nothing yet at bargain basement Dollar store pricing. Unfortunately over the years Radio Shack made some bad business decisions that cost them. They also got away from their core business model.

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
John,

Wow, I never knew about it. Can't thank you enough on that one. I love surplus places, I can spend hours in them. There was a big industrial place in Euclid that offered mostly large industrial surplus we would visit from work every now and then. I think it was Wednesdays during the summer they offered a free Hamburger and Hot Dog lunch grilled in the parking lot. :)

Thanks Again
Ron

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
HGR in Euclid is still alive and well. Fun place to visit. Ask for Marshall; although, any sales person will help. I was told at one time that it processes 17 truckloads of surplus a day!

I have never tried their free food. ;)

John

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Here is a place I would hang out in when I was in Orlando: http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/purchasing1.aspx?gclid=CIT8m4WS0MMCFSRo7AodUUYAPA They ship too. When I was living in Silicon Valley, there were quite a few places like this I would go to. Funny story, I was watching a news show about some of these places in San Jose, I think I was watching discovery or something. Anyway, it was a place I would go to frequently. The store owner was taking about how in the 60's these hippies would come into his store barefoot and wearing tie-die t-shirts. They would try to buy a lot of computer equipment, but they never had any money, so they would offer payment in stock in a company nobody ever hear of...Apple Computers :)