Radio Shack Bites The Dust

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I'll never forget when I was super green in electronics going to a Radio Shack and asking where I could find an electrolytic capacitor, the look on the clerk's face was pretty priceless. At that point I realized Radio Shack was more about cell phones and Chinese made toys and crap. Although I did always enjoy their line of radio scanners. Still have 3 of them.
Actually in the early years they were fairly knowledgeable.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
You people must be referring to the "Battery of the Month Club" and I had a card for every Shack within a 10 mile radius (which was about 4 then and now too).

My preference was 9V batteries. The most volts per battery I could get for my projects.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I would not be so sure. They have been carrying a lot of neat stuff lately. Proto boards, arduinos, some cool sensors just to name a few. But my guess it their "sale" price will still exceed what you can get on ebay.
True that. If RS stocked some PIC kits. I would have been interested.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
The problem with retail is that it increases the price without adding value.

Thats one reason why online sales are XX billion now.

here in Ireland, cashiers have been replaced with self service checkout machines- three of them at the same space, and almost no staff required just a few around. Its a stupid job.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Some stores actually had a local repair/install business (mainly for CD radios/stereo setups). I worked at a few stores in Dallas part-time when I was in school when they had a full parts warehouse and complete schematics for all the equipment they sold. We could order just about anything needed to repair gear then. Can't say I'm sad they're closing as a mass retailer but little towns will miss the stores.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I would not be so sure. They have been carrying a lot of neat stuff lately. Proto boards, arduinos, some cool sensors just to name a few. But my guess it their "sale" price will still exceed what you can get on ebay.
That was their last ditch effort for salvation..
Too little.. too late

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I worked for Radio Shack when I was in college. My manager used to complain when I'd spend 15 or 20 minutes with a customer, simply to sell him a pack of resistors or A/V cables. I always made sure the customer left with exactly what he needed.

He quit complaining when those same $5 to $10 customers came back, asking specifically for me, to buy hundreds of dollars in Hi-Fi equipment, computers, and other stuff.

After my first month, I was the top-selling salesman in the store.

Edit: My success there caused quite a competition between me and the other sales guys. At the end of my first summer, we were the top-selling store in Florida.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I worked for Radio Shack when I was in college. My manager used to complain when I'd spend 15 or 20 minutes with a customer, simply to sell him a pack of resistors or A/V cables. I always made sure the customer left with exactly what he needed.

He quit complaining when those same $5 to $10 customers came back, asking specifically for me, to buy hundreds of dollars in Hi-Fi equipment, computers, and other stuff.

And for how long did you work at that store?

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
And for how long did you work at that store?
About 2 years, off and on. The manager tried to convince me to quit school and jump on the management track at RS -- going so far as to show me how much a good manager makes at a good store. You'd be surprised!

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
About 2 years, off and on. The manager tried to convince me to quit school and jump on the management track at RS -- going so far as to show me how much a good manager makes at a good store. You'd be surprised!
I'm sure I'd be... Question, I don't know how the law works up there in the US, but what happens to people that were receiving retirement benefits from RS now that it's gone off business? Do they lose some perks, or does the government take care of everything?

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
The store was in a relatively high crime area (mostly shoplifting). I had quite a scare one day when a customer approached the counter and pulled out a six inch bowie knife while I was standing about two and a half feet away on the opposite side of the counter. I thought we were being held up.

Then, he proceeded to remove his watch from his wrist, pop off the back with the knife, and ask me, "Do you have this battery?"

"Ummm...yes. And, for you, it's free..."

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I'm sure I'd be... Question, I don't know how the law works up there in the US, but what happens to people that were receiving retirement benefits from RS now that it's gone off business? Do they lose some perks, or does the government take care of everything?
I don't know what RS does for retirement accounts these days -- probably private 401Ks just like everyone else.

No, the US gov't typically, thankfully, does not get involved with retirement/pension plans unless you're a gov't worker -- in which case you life a life of lush luxury.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
The store was in a relatively high crime area (mostly shoplifting). I had quite a scare one day when a customer approached the counter and pulled out a six inch bowie knife while I was standing about two and a half feet away on the opposite side of the counter. I thought we were being held up.

Then, he proceeded to remove his watch from his wrist, pop off the back with the knife, and ask me, "Do you have this battery?"

"Ummm...yes. And, for you, it's free..."
ha ha ha... bet you added: "And here... you can have another one for the road... "

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012

Edit: My success there caused quite a competition between me and the other sales guys. At the end of my first summer, we were the top-selling store in Florida.
I really like this reply. Something about success!

and you're right, its worth trying your best communicating with customers. they come back, and talk positively about you.

I've learned selling from a book about SONY, how they started up, and my feedback is outstanding, all very good.

Well, RS should hire me, I could save them, I'm making good sales even in these days. Unfortunately, I have no plans to move to US.

Selling single piece transistors for $2 would stop. All sales items need to be optimized- for what customers really need, give them best possible price, and have lowest associated cost. Economic shipping too, use recycled materials like cardboard, its free, no need for a box for small orders.

Only problem is the labour cost if you need to hire staff to do it.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
No, the US gov't typically, thankfully, does not get involved with retirement/pension plans unless you're a gov't worker -- in which case you life a life of lush luxury.
You sure about this? Locally many of the steel mills and other companies that went bankrupt had their pensions taken over by PBGC. At a way lower pension amount to the pension holders. Some where in the 25% to 35% of what they had coming.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pension_Benefit_Guaranty_Corporation

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
If a pension can be considered a contract between the company and employees, then the employees can sue, which of course would be heard in a government court.