Radio Shack Bites The Dust

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I heard on the news that Radio Shack is closing about half of its stores and the company is also withdrawing from the New York stock exchange.

They will probably have a going out of business sale at the stores which they are closing and you can find a lot of bargains.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Thanks for the heads-up.

Unfortunately, Radio Shack hasn't had anything I needed for several years.
Still, I might take a peek...if the local store still exists.

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
Thanks, I hadn't heard about that either. I hope the RadioShack near where I live won't close, since that's where I buy most of my electronic components. In my opinion, a store ~2 miles away is nicer than having to order online and pay shipping.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
On the news tonight, half the stores will be sold and rebranded with the name of the company buying them. RS is on their last leg as the news in Fort Worth was reporting the number of CEOs they had recently and there is no sign of life. NYSE delisted them and their price per share was 22 cents today.

Buying online isn't too bad, you just have to plan your purchases better. Mouser and Digikey have always been good sources of supply.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
tjohnosn, if you're buying most of your stuff from RS, you're overpaying. Look online, it's much cheaper. I've loved RS since I was a kid, and before online ordering, that was all I had.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
That is sad news. I've been going to those stores since I was a young kid. Yes component parts were overpriced but they had single quantities of many needful things.

That ended for the most part over a decade ago, but there are still some items I would get there. Of course, when the ever helpful staff asked what they could help me with I just smiled and said "I think I know where it is" as I did know and knew way better than they did what I was seeking.

Besides, my purchase rairly exceeped 5 bucks and I did not want to waste their time.

Now where will I find my wireless Logitec keyboard and mouse combo on deep sale?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I was in my local Radio Shack a week or so ago (for a power jack to complete a project) and found everything on sale for at least 25% off. It was very quiet and a little sad in there. I felt sorry for the nice gal running the store, and a little guilty spending a whopping $2.

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
tjohnosn, if you're buying most of your stuff from RS, you're overpaying. Look online, it's much cheaper. I've loved RS since I was a kid, and before online ordering, that was all I had.
Hello,

RS is NOT Radio Shack, it is a totaly different electronics supplier:
http://export.rsdelivers.com/

Please do NOT mix the two.

Bertus
Yes. RS stands for Radio Spares if you are in the U.K.
I'm confused.:confused: I know JoeJester is definitely talking about RadioShack, but I'm not sure @Brownout: Were you talking about RadioShack or the UK RS store?

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I got %50 off on my $15 purchase. All I needed was another bag of Binding Posts at $4.29 4 posts in a bag. Newark has them listed at $2.29 each.

kv

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
It's not surprising that cousins "crossed the pond" have a RS supplier that isn't Radio Shack. I've heard Radio Shack referred to as "RS", "the shack", "Tandy" and of course Radio Shack.

The variations on the theme of names and nicknames will cross at times as will other words. It adds flavor to the discussion.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Thanks for the heads-up.

Unfortunately, Radio Shack hasn't had anything I needed for several years.
Still, I might take a peek...if the local store still exists.
I would not be so sure. They have been carrying a lot of neat stuff lately. Proto boards, arduinos, some cool sensors just to name a few. But my guess it their "sale" price will still exceed what you can get on ebay.

ke5nnt

Joined Mar 1, 2009
I'll never forget when I was super green in electronics going to a Radio Shack and asking where I could find an electrolytic capacitor, the look on the clerk's face was pretty priceless. At that point I realized Radio Shack was more about cell phones and Chinese made toys and crap. Although I did always enjoy their line of radio scanners. Still have 3 of them.
News article I read stated that they were having trouble even closing the stores, because I guess it costs money to close stores and they don't have the credit to cover the costs. Not radio shack related, but Sirius XM satellite radio is in the same boat I hear. A company is buying up all the shares because their assets if they fail are more profitable than if they succeed at this point. Business is cruel.