Radio Contour Map - ?Power Spectrum Density?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Management, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Management

Management Thread Starter Active Member

If I wanted to plot a Radio Contour Map what type of information would I need. I have a Garmin eTrex Legend which can provide longitude and latitude (position data) and I have a portable Spectrum Analyzer. What I want is to generate a color-graded map will show which geographical regions of some location, based on the location of hills, mountains and other topographical features, currently have high or low radio signal coverage.

What information should I be getting from the spectrum analyzer? Power Spectrum Density? Or is it average power over some frequency band? I think its the latter.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  2. roddefig

roddefig Active Member

In a way, both! If you're looking for the power in a specific frequency band (which I would assume you are) then you'll want to integrate the power spectral density readings from the spectrum analyzer over those frequencies. See the Wikipedia article on Spectral Density: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectral_density
  3. Management

Management Thread Starter Active Member

Thanks a lot for clearing that up for me. Exactly what I want.