R van Heerden

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by rvh002@gmail.com, Sep 17, 2010.

1. rvh002@gmail.com

Thread Starter Active Member

May 15, 2009
    Hi, I am looking to design/manufacture a couple (3) flashlight circuits. The supply is 12V DC and the trigger will be a movement sensor. It will be an outdoor circiut so a fair amount of power must be used by the 'flash"
    Any ideas ?

2. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    By "flash" do you mean camera strobe?

Or do you want a motion detector that will light a path when triggered?

3. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    Garage door automation uses IR beams to detect people and cars...

Cameras have flash circuits that charge quickly and are triggered by a switch, which can be changed for a relay...

Lots of possibilities if you want to get creative with already made "off the shelf" components. Just put together an idea and source the parts and you have a new product that requires no special manufacturing or design. Everything is already existing and in stock somewhere, being used in other products.

4. rvh002@gmail.com

May 15, 2009
    Thanks for the ideas. I am planning to use external sensors to trigger a flash. The idea is to use high intensity LED's. Either two or four white ones. The LED's must be driven by a mosfet or similar. The mosfet to be triggered by a schmit trigger or similar and it in turn must be triggered by the external sensors. The whole lot to be powered from a 12volt battery.

l

5. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    Are they going to look at a perimeter, like crossing a line to trigger,or is it a wide area field you want to detect movement in?

6. rvh002@gmail.com

May 15, 2009
    The sensors will be looking up and down a street from a pole mounted box about 3meters up from ground level. I have suitable outdoor sensors that have relay contact open or closed outputs. These (I presume) open contact upon closing must fire a mosfet/fet to momentarily turn the high power white led's on to act like a flash. A bright flash is all I need as the whole setup is really a scare tactic for unwanted individuals in a very remote residential area. No actual photography wiil take place, so no need for any sincronisation.. My knowledge of high power led's are unfortunately a bit lacking. I can lay my hands on 10W led's and that is what I presume will make enough light to look like a flash. Maybe two or four of them in some configuration.

i

7. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    All you need for the flashes is a bag full of the flash units sold by Goldmine for anywhere from 0.99 to 0.49 when on sale. They come out of those disposable cameras and run off a single AA cell which could be kept at full charge with a solar cell.

8. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    I agree with marshallf3.

10w LEDs are gonna cost you a bundle. You can get slave flash units from Ritz Camera for 10 bucks.

Seal them up with some hot glue and you have an "all weather unit"

9. rvh002@gmail.com

May 15, 2009
    Thanks for the ideas.