R/C battery charger

JGKIII

Joined Dec 7, 2008
Can someone tell me what I need to recharge a radio controlled boat battery that in NiMh? R/C battery chargers go from $20.00 to over $200.00. Can a simple but capable charger be built from an existing charger that is canalbilized?

Secondly, are the LiPo batteries worth the extra money? Is the chemistry that much better than the NiMh?

Wisdom and suggestions are most welcome.

JK

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Secondly, are the LiPo batteries worth the extra money? Is the chemistry that much better than the NiMh?
Are you using the batteries for propulsion or just for the electronics?

LiPo batteries provide longer duration, less weight, and much lower self discharge than NiCD and the most common type of NiMH batteries. Some newer NiMH boast of low self discharge too.

Unless weight is a major concern, as in model airplanes, I would not mess with LiPos. For non-propulsion, even in airplanes, I still use NiMH.

John

JGKIII

Joined Dec 7, 2008
John,
The batteries are for propulsion, a 30" displacement boat (Aquacraft Bristol Bay fishing boat.) http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMPK0**&P=0 Not a fast hull by any means. I was more concerned with run time.

It sounds like you have R/C experience, can you recommend a "reasonable" charger for NiMH batteries. I am not a bells and whistles gotta' have the biggest, baddest out there. I just want capable and reliable. I am also aware of the false economy concept and do not want to buy twice, that is why I am asking for suggestions.

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I use a Triton and have for several years. It has functions you don't need, if all you are charging is NiMH. You will want to be able to select different charge rates and be able to do a capacity check (i.e., discharge). As you know, NiMH don't need to be cycled per se.

I would just go to a reliable dealer and chose by price. After you find what you think you want, go to a site like RCUniverse.com or RCGroups.com, search on that specific product and see what other users have to say about it before buying.

John