"Quote message in reply?" ???

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I just noticed that the Quick Reply box has a checkbox 'Option" that says, "Quote message in reply?"

Yet it is not enabled and I haven't been able to gleen any hints as to what it does or is supposed to do.

If I haven't chosen to quote a post, then is this supposed to automatically quote the last post in the thread? Seems a bit dangerous given how many times additional posts are added between the time you start a Reply and the time you actually submit it>

Is it supposed to suppress the body of the quoted message and just retain the header information? If so, then how do you utilitze it? Whenever I choose to quote a post I get taken immediately to the Advanced posting page and not the Quick Reply box.

I'm assuming that I can't use it because of some configuration option I have chosen, but none seem obvious candidates.

Does anyone have this checkbox enabled? If so, can you tell exactly what it does?

Thanks!

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Mine doesn't seem to be doing anything, it's just sitting there and won't let me enable it.

Very interesting.....
Ok, I clicked the "quick reply" button at the bottom right of my last post and it's letting me enable it. I just checked the box, so let's see if it quotes my message automatically....

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
It did indeed. So in order to enable it you have to click the "quick reply" button on the post itself, then it will quote it. It's a pain though, it doesn't reset automatically....

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
So let's see what it does if you select the "Quick Reply" icon in a post and don't choose to include text....

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
So let's see what it does if you select the "Quick Reply" icon in a post and don't choose to include text....
And the answer is .... nothing! So what's the point. If you don't want to include any quoted text, then why hit the "Quick Reply" button on a post since the Quick Reply box is at the bottom of the page any way. If you do want to include any quoted text, then why not hit the "Quote" button to begin with?

Strange.

I could see a useful purpose if hitting the "Quick Reply" button just inserted a link to the post being replying to and the name of the poster (and perhaps a post number) and then choosing the "Include message in Reply" would result in including the entire post being replied to. But as it is, once you hit "Quick Reply" in a post, there doesn't even seem to be anyway of knowing which post it was that you are replying to, at least until after you post it (or possibly choose Go Advanced -- I'll check that out next).

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
But as it is, once you hit "Quick Reply" in a post, there doesn't even seem to be anyway of knowing which post it was that you are replying to, at least until after you post it (or possibly choose Go Advanced -- I'll check that out next).
So, if you hit "Quick Reply" and select the "Include message in reply?" box and then choose Go Advanced, it DOES include the quoted text in the advanced Reply to Thread dialog box. I supposed that's good and reassuring.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I never use that box anyway, it doesn't do anything you can't do by just hitting the "quote" button. Seems rather useless to me....

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I never use that box anyway, it doesn't do anything you can't do by just hitting the "quote" button. Seems rather useless to me....
I agree. It COULD be made to do something somewhat useful, but as it stands it doesn't. But at least now I know what it does (and doesn't) do.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
The use of the multiple quotes is indeed cryptic. This is how I use the system:

I hit the "Multi-Quote Message" button (
) in every post I want to include in my reply.
Then I hit the "Quote" button (
) in the last post I have multi-quoted.
The advanced message editor appears with all the selected messages quoted separately.

You can multi-quote messages spanning in more than one pages.

Give it a try.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I've used the Multi-Quote several times. I can never remember what order the quotes material will be placed, so I just accept that I will probably have to rearrange.

But here we were talking not about Multi-Quote, but about the "Quick Reply" and its interaction with the "Quote message in reply" checkbox.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I think the intention of the tick-box was to interact with the posts set as multi-qotes, thus I gave a more functional way to do that.

I don't think it serves another purpose.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I think the intention of the tick-box was to interact with the posts set as multi-qotes, thus I gave a more functional way to do that.

I don't think it serves another purpose.
Hmmm....

But the tick-box only appears in the Quick Reply dialog and, I think, the multi-quotes always takes you to the full Reply to Thread box that doesn't have that tick-box (that I know of).

As near as I can tell, the only time it is enabled is if you hit the "Quick Reply" button (the one next to the Multi-Quote) button.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I've used the Multi-Quote several times. I can never remember what order the quotes material will be placed, so I just accept that I will probably have to rearrange.

But here we were talking not about Multi-Quote, but about the "Quick Reply" and its interaction with the "Quote message in reply" checkbox.
Test post.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
So, in post #14 I multi-quoted post #13 and hit the "Quick Reply" button on post #11. Then I checked the tickbox.

I guess that solves our question and proves me wrong.

Was there anything else?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Useful test.

So the consensus seems to be that the "Quick Reply" and the tick-box perform no useful purpose (or at least no purpose that isn't better served by other means).

Good to know, though I wonder why it is set up this way. Very possibly it is legacy code that predated the "Quote" button.