Quiz Help

BirdMan

Joined Oct 9, 2010
New here but I will defintely stick around. This site has already been very helpful and the people seam real nice.

Bit about me:

Im 25 and in my first semester of a associated degree majoring to be a electrical technician within the energy systems sector.

For some reason I am second guessing my answer to this problem. Is the answer simply VT which I figured out to be 46.78v?

The given problem was in black and my answers are in red.

Attachments

BirdMan

Joined Oct 9, 2010
I am very aware of the characteristics of series and parallel circuits. Well kinda... lol

I figured IT by finding RT and VT.

Im not sure if this is just a weird electronic coincidence but adding up all the current from all three resistors and dividing by three gave me a number real close to my IT.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

So you know Ohms law.
Then you can calculate the voltage across each resistor using the values of them and the total current.

Bertus

BirdMan

Joined Oct 9, 2010
I done that also with R1 being 18.2v R2 16.7v R3 11.8.

It equals 46.7v.

My question is: What is the highest voltage I can have with out burning up resistors? Is it the total voltage or is there a amount you can go over Vt?

EDIT:

Markd77 just made me have a bright light go off in my head. Since that is the smallest resistor I need to use that current amount because if i use any higher current in series it will blow that resistor? Am I right?

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I get about 14V for R1 with 27.5mA.
As this is theoretical assume the resistors burn at their power ratings. In real life the power rating is more complicated but it's usually best to stay well below because they do get pretty hot at full rated power.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
If I were in your place I would try this method: You know that all the resistors share the same current (and should be as they are connected in series). You also know that the formula for power is \(P=I^2 \cdot R\). So, I would use it for each resistor to find the maximum current that can pass through it. Then I would take the smallest of them, as it prevents all the resistors from burning up.

Choosing that current, use the Ohm's law to calculate the voltage on each resistor, and sum them to find the voltage on the voltage source.