quick strobe light question

charlie.kanel

Joined Nov 2, 2008
hello all,
I recently found these cheep-o strobe lights in my basement today. I wish to put them in my truck as I am a volunteer firefighter. The problem is that they are far to slow, Approx 1 flash per second. If i could get that up to about 3 flashes per second that would be great.

Attached is the controller for the strobe. Keep in mind I will have 2 of these and I could also put both of them onto one and use the parts from one controller on the other.

Any help would be great. I wish to install these tomorrow.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
If you're installing them tomorrow, then they'll flash at 1Hz or not at all, based on the information (or rather, lack of it) that you've given us.

The top photo is so lacking in detail due to distance and flash reflection that not much is visible.

What does the pot do? Speed it up/slow it down?

Besides all that, my feeling is that the circuit will not likely be able to flash at a faster rate without replacing several components. Being a cheap unit, it was designed to flash at a slower rate because the transistors and transformer used were not capable of the current levels required for higher flashing rates.

It would likely be cheaper (and certainly faster) to go out and purchase a decent system that meets your specifications, before attempting to modify this circuit. High voltages are involved in Xenon flash tube circuits.

charlie.kanel

Joined Nov 2, 2008
yeah I figured It would be a royal pain in the ass to do.

The dial controls power and speed but it wouldnt be needed seeing how It will be switched at my dashboard