Quick Schmitt Trigger

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by nDever, Mar 4, 2011.

1. nDever

Thread Starter Active Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Greetings Fellow Members,

Are there any common household devices that carry a Schmitt trigger? I need a circuit that can digitize my clock signals.

2. Jaguarjoe

Apr 7, 2010
    Did you look at a CD4093?

3. nDever

Jan 13, 2011
    I do not have any of those; only normal NAND gates.

4. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
  5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
  6. nDever

Jan 13, 2011
    The original signal is as depicted in the attachment. It is based from this schematic. I built a Schmitt trigger from the attached schematic and achieved the corresponding signal. The high voltage threshold was about 2.5V and the low threshold was about 2.4V. I am not sure why the signal from the trigger looks this way.

[​IMG]

7. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    Your last post makes no sense to me.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  8. nDever

Jan 13, 2011
    I apologize for being unclear. I require a square wave with a peak voltage of about 4V (5V ideally) for a general clock driver for my Z80. I built a circuit from the schematic below

[​IMG]

and achieved a signal that looks like the signal in the first image attached. This signal would not serve as a good clock signal for a CPU because of the voltage spikes. I need to have a clean square wave signal and I have tried to debounce the signal by adding an RC circuit across the crystal but did not yield any better results. I then decided to try a Schmitt trigger to digitize my signal. I do not have any trigger ICs, so I decided to construct one from NPN transistors (the schematic for this circuit is the second attachment). When I applied the original signal to the trigger circuit, I received a signal that looks like the signal in the third image attached. As you can see, that is no square wave. This is a problem.

9. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    The signal from your oscillator cannot be cleaned up with a Schmitt trigger. The ringing you see is probably due either or both of the following:
    1. The ground lead on your scope probe is too long.
    2. You have no ground plane, or a very poor one.
    3. Your IC does not have a proper decoupling cap between Vcc and GND pins.

The Schmitt trigger schematic you posted will not give TTL levels at the output, but, as I said, you don't need one. In fact, if you did pass the clock signal through a good, high speed Schmitt trigger (such as 74XX14), you would probably see almost exactly the same ringing and overshoot.