Quick question... (Well 2 really)...

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by BCMusic, Oct 24, 2009.

1. BCMusic

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    1. I was wondering why all of the component distribution sites I've been to ask for you to request a quote before you can see the price of the component you wish to purchase?

2. I have a video card (NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE [cheapo I know]) that has about 6 reserved (currently unoccupied) spaces that evidently can be put to some use... I mean, right now there are two Infineon HYB18T256161AF-25 chips on board, and two "reserved" spaces for the exact same chips... There are also two extra spaces for inductors, and countless extra spaces for more resistors... Basically what I'm getting at is, is this PCB used for upgraded versions of this card? Or is it something else? And, is it even the slightest bit possible to get these parts and essentially "mod" it?

Crappy camera.....
  2. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    Considering $50 will buy you a superior video card with more RAM...
  3. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    To answer your first question, many of these sites specialize in hard to find parts and don't stock anything. They simply do the search for you and IF they can find the part, will quote. Many have a Minimum Order requirement ranging from $300 to $500.
  4. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    to answer your second question, NO, you can not mod it, even if you manage to get all the components and get them soldered on, the firmware and device drivers wont "see" your changes anyway, those would also have to be modified to support the extra hardware. and they usually design one board for more than one version of the device.... so some devices might come with 128MB ram, some will be more....