Quick Diode question (pic)

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by catboxer, Apr 18, 2011.

1. catboxer

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 18, 2011
    I'm reworking this old PCB board and I'm a bit confused as to which way this rectifier diode should be oriented. I would think the annode side would be nearest the AC input (red wires) and the cathode side would be furthest into the board. BUT, The PCB shows the cathode sign nearest the AC input? You can see the arrow in the picture. I don't want to kill the transformer, so I want to make sure I've got it the right way around before I hook it back up. Leave it like I installed it? Or switch it around? Many thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    It is good as is. Mentally lay the diodes flat while leaving the connections, the cathode is on the right side.

3. catboxer

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 18, 2011
    I see, it just makes sense this way, but they should have put the symbol on the other side. Thank you!

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    The diode direction would be covered up. They could have done it, but there isn't a wrong way.

5. JDT

Feb 12, 2009
    Looks like they are inserted the wrong way round to me. Cathode (white band) should be going where the pointed diode symbol is shown.

6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Look again, the arrow is pointing to the top, to the cathode marking which is on the top, the cathode marking on the diode is in the top hole. There is no problem.