Quick 9v power question

Fastmerc

Joined Feb 20, 2015
For a quick little Sunday project, I just took an old pair of powered computer speakers and made a little guitar amp out of it by adding a 1/4 input jack. It is powered by a 9V ac adapter. I wanted to also make it portable so I soldered in a 9volt batter clip directly to the ac adapter jack lugs. My question is do I need to unplug the 9 volt battery if I am using the adapter to power the speakers?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Probably. Wall warts are notoriously unregulated. They would likely try to charge the battery. That's bad unless the battery is rechargable, and if it is, it needs a regulator for the charging current.
There is a way to use the power jack to automatically disconnect the battery when you plug in.

Robartes

Joined Oct 1, 2014
For a quick little Sunday project, I just took an old pair of powered computer speakers and made a little guitar amp out of it by adding a 1/4 input jack. It is powered by a 9V ac adapter. I wanted to also make it portable so I soldered in a 9volt batter clip directly to the ac adapter jack lugs. My question is do I need to unplug the 9 volt battery if I am using the adapter to power the speakers?
Yes. If you don't, you will have whichever of the battery or the adapter is at the highest voltage trying to push current into the other one. If you don't want to unplug the battery every time, you can build a simple switch with a FET or a transistor BJT.

Update: or you could follow #12's even better suggestion to automate the switching

Fastmerc

Joined Feb 20, 2015
I know I could just mount the batter on the outside of the speaker so I could easily unplug it if I need to or I could add a little mini switch to the case, is there another way?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
There is also the idea that TS said, "AC adapter". Those don't mix at all with batteries! :eek:

Does that mean AC input or AC output?

Fastmerc

Joined Feb 20, 2015
Probably. Wall warts are notoriously unregulated. They would likely try to charge the battery. That's bad unless the battery is rechargable, and if it is, it needs a regulator for the charging current.
There is a way to use the power jack to automatically disconnect the battery when you plug in.
How would I do the automated switch?

Robartes

Joined Oct 1, 2014
I'm assuming your AC adapter outputs DC with positive on the center pin? In that case, your circuit should work.

Update: that's wrong. See below.

Last edited:

Robartes

Joined Oct 1, 2014
Additionally, are you sure the adapter outputs DC? The first thing after the connector on the PCB seems to be a bridge rectifier, which suggests AC.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Additionally, are you sure the adapter outputs DC? The first thing after the connector on the PCB seems to be a bridge rectifier, which suggests AC.
Yes the input socket goes to the bridge, at least it will be steered to the correct polarity via the bridge.
Just that you will get ~ 1.5v drop over the diodes.
Max.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Note that a standard 9V transistor battery will likely not last long (perhaps a few hours for an alkaline type) in powering your amp.