Questions translation

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
It's a little frustrating, at least for me, to watch how some new members whose native language is not English have a hard time explaining themselves when posting a question. Examples of this abound in this site. The latest of which is this thread.

So here's my suggestion. Why not open a section (but not a dedicated forum) in which non-English speakers could state their questions in their native language, and then have volunteers translate those questions for them, which would then be posted in the pertinent forum? Once the question is properly translated and posted, all answers and follow-ups would be given in English, and no other language.

I, for one, would be willing to volunteer to help and translate into English those questions posted in my mother tongue so that they could be coherently interpreted by other members of these fora.

The reason why I'm proposing this is because I know that it's not easy to convey one's thoughts in a foreign language. Once the question has been properly translated, the poster would be on his/her own to interpret the answers in English being given to them. It's a lot easier for non-english speakers to understand other people's answers than to clearly articulate their questions. To further clarify: it's the hell of a lot easier to read and interpret any foreign language than to explain oneself in it.

Of course, my idea is in no way complete and it's only in an embryonic state. It definitely needs further development. But it might encourage more people to participate and increase this website's traffic.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
It would also help a lot if non-English speakers would be more diligent in stating their location -- and for members answering for noting this for replies. Maybe some sort of tag for non-english posters to help remind us?

p.s. I have many times been tempted to reply to those that apoligize that English is not their native language something to the effect of: "You are allowed one apology. :) Thank you for helping us help you. (I am sure that your use of English is far better than my use of your language!)"

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I must admit many of the questions/answers remind me of an old joke:

A couple of guys are flying in a hot air balloon, fall asleep, and are completely lost.
As they drift over a building, one of them shouts down "could you please tell us where we are?"
"You are in a balloon", the man shouts back.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
One version of the joke goes...
Since the answer was correct but useless, the balloonists then knew exactly where they were -- outside of Microsoft Tech Support.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
While this is technically an English-only site, I've seen several times (though none recently) when a poster posted their problem in their native language and someone helped with the translation. If the entire post was in a foreign language, then something was said. But if there was any indication at all that person was asking for a translation, then it was allowed to slide. I suspect that this has ceased because of the growing popularity of online translation programs (which, while they have gotten pretty good in some ways, still leave a lot to be desired for technical content).

As for the joke, the version I always liked goes:

Balloonist: "You must be an engineer."
Man on ground: "Why yes. How did you know?"
Balloonist: "Because you gave me an answer that was technically correct, but completely useless."
Man on ground: "You must be in management."
Balloonist: "Why yes. How did you know."
Man on ground: "Because you ask me a question and I give you an answer. You are still in exactly the same situation you were before you asked, but now it's MY fault."

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
It's a little frustrating, at least for me, to watch how some new members whose native language is not English have a hard time explaining themselves when posting a question.
One I'd like to see is a place for non electronics speaking people. Many times my posts can't explain my thinking into the correct "electronic" terms and makes it frustrating to me and potential helpers. English as a first language doesn't help for speaking electronics.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
One I'd like to see is a place for non electronics speaking people. Many times my posts can't explain my thinking into the correct "electronic" terms and makes it frustrating to me and potential helpers. English as a first language doesn't help for speaking electronics.
That's a vocabulary and understanding problem that's mainly on the person to find a cure. We've got plenty of directly electronics related issues to help with here.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Try to draw the block diagram to explain, and list the question one by one as :
1. ......
2. ......
3. ......

The electronics components sometimes are not that hard to describe, they are as R, C, L, bjt, mosfet, digital ic, analog ic, input signal and output signal, frequency, power supply, etc, when you describe the questions with block diagram then it's more easier to understand.

How to draw the block diagram and describe the questions, the easy start is a block and plus the input signals, output signals and the power supply.

If you want then you can draw and describe some more details as three block diagrams and their input/output signals, you can also connecting the wires via a block to another block, and the last is plus the power supply.

If your block diagram is clear enough then the helpers will be easy to converting to the circuit, maybe you will modify the block diagram, and the helpers or yourself can modify the circuit again, until the results to match what you want.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Either that, or she has an enormously high threshold for pain :confused:
stock-photo-smoking-soldering-iron-on-a-computer-motherboard-closeup-413944939.jpg
Good thing she's wearing eye protection while arc soldering.

It's been my experience it's usually not a matter of just question translation. If both people understand the subject that language barrier can usually be overcome quickly with diagrams, common symbols and math. It's when one side is using jargon in a way that shows they understand the basics about as much as the photographer does soldering that causes a failure to communicate.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
I don''t think that was the problem of language, if he could follow what the helpers asked and to answer the questions, provide all the infos as helper asked, and then I think the problem can be solve.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I'd say, "separated by a common language", but UK probably has as many ESLs as we do.
Yes. But it increases the chances that the original problem was given in English and, thus, does not need translation. It just needs the TS to actually post the original problem instead of trying to give their own description of it.