Questions on how to control different mobile robot systems ?

RobotHeart

Joined Feb 21, 2010
Good Day

I would like to expand my knowledge on robots, well i've done a robotic arm, a sound tracking robot (theoretical ->non-practical), and an electronic guide for the visually impaired (fyp) before, but i've never gone deeper in robotics projects.
This time i want to build a full-equipped mobile robot which has the following specifications:

1/ wireless control of the robot.
2/ camera attached to the robot with wireless connection to PC.

that's it for now...other features will be added later on.

- QUESTIONS THAT NEED ANSWERS:

1/ What is the best way (easy + cheap :D ) for controlling the robot wirelessly? and how (details) ?

2/ how to control a wireless camera ? does it need PC programming or it has like a ready made software to be able to see what the camera is picking (live) ?

I'll wait for an answer to these questions, then I'll resume my questions :)
hope i can get the help im looking for here..

Thank you

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Hi.

What about putting some wheels and a motor on a laptop? Use serial or USB programming to control the motor.

The wireless access can be done by WLAN and TCP/IP. With the right software you can transmit the camera images to nearly everywhere.

What's the range you need?

RobotHeart

Joined Feb 21, 2010
thanks for replying..

well its not a bad idea....plus its much cheaper than buy various expensive modules.

so..the structure of the body, despite the wheels and motors, it should be made to contain the laptop perfectly. check..

now how can i implement this idea ? can you help me step by step...cuz im not very good in computer networking? what are the compulsory software needed here ?

thanks a lot :)

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Not considering range and power supply.

I would go for Linux, since I'm a Linux guy.

Apps: Apache, Motion and Ssh

With all this tuned together, you are able to log in to the Apache web server on the laptop, and view the live streaming from the web cam. With ssh you can open a terminal window and access a custom program to control the motor, connected to either USB, serial or parallel port.

If the wireless router is configured right, and connected to the Net, you can in theory sit anywhere in the world and control it.

"... theres no end to the possibilities" - cable guy, standing in a giant satellite dish.

RobotHeart

Joined Feb 21, 2010
Not considering range and power supply.

I would go for Linux, since I'm a Linux guy.

Apps: Apache, Motion and Ssh

With all this tuned together, you are able to log in to the Apache web server on the laptop, and view the live streaming from the web cam. With ssh you can open a terminal window and access a custom program to control the motor, connected to either USB, serial or parallel port.

If the wireless router is configured right, and connected to the Net, you can in theory sit anywhere in the world and control it.

"... theres no end to the possibilities" - cable guy, standing in a giant satellite dish.
ooook...let take it easy :)
1st of all i dont use Linux...i know its good but im not really used to it...plus i dont have it... so how about windows for now ?
can you explain slowly + in more detail please ?

hope im not asking too much though :)

tq

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Ok, I'm now moving on thin ice... :)

Assume you have a laptop with MS Windows XP.

A quick google: on Free webcam feed programs.

I do not know anything about these programs, but it says you can broadcast to anywhere...

For the moving and steering, I think you might be using the Remote desktop... something. I don't remeber the name.

When you are logged in with the remote-thing, you can access a custom made program to take control over the motor and steering.

Like I said. Thin ice - very thin ice.:)

What are your thoughts on lay-out?

RobotHeart

Joined Feb 21, 2010
Ok, I'm now moving on thin ice... :)

Assume you have a laptop with MS Windows XP.

A quick google: on Free webcam feed programs.

I do not know anything about these programs, but it says you can broadcast to anywhere...

For the moving and steering, I think you might be using the Remote desktop... something. I don't remeber the name.

When you are logged in with the remote-thing, you can access a custom made program to take control over the motor and steering.

Like I said. Thin ice - very thin ice.:)

What are your thoughts on lay-out?
well im thinking about making it as simple as possible at the beginning, since im still a beginner in wireless controlling.
so its going to be like this:

- The PC will be connected to the laptop via remote desktop using wireless network connection.
- the laptop will be connected by serial port >> PIC microcontroller >> servo drive >> servo motors.

Questions:
- can the serial port give variable voltage at one of its pins ? or its just ON/OFF state ?
- Is there's any PC software made to give that kind of output (variable voltage ) ?

thx again :)

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Questions:
- can the serial port give variable voltage at one of its pins ? or its just ON/OFF state ?
- Is there's any PC software made to give that kind of output (variable voltage ) ?
No, but apparently it is not too tricky to send binary data over the serial port with most popular programming languages. Some PICs are very easy to use with serial, others not so easy. Which one do you have in mind?

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Questions:
No, I do not think so. Only ON/OFF. Try to google serial port programming...

Don't know thatone either.

To interface with the PIC via a PC I think you need a MAX232.

With the proper program in the PIC, you can send commands and instruction thru the RS-232/ serial port, using the HyperTerminal.

Sounds easy, eh? :)