Questions on Car Speakers

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by darrough, Apr 14, 2015.

1. darrough

Thread Starter Member

Jan 18, 2015
    My car has four speakers, each 2 ohm. I replaced the front speakers with 4 ohm speakers. The sound is really not impressive at all. I think the speakers must be wired in parallel, since the back speakers are much louder than the front speakers. (My reasoning is, in parallel there is more current through the lower resistance branch and the voltage is the same on all branches). I asked the store (Crutchfield) if I could remove the back speakers and if it would improve the sound. (My reasoning is, by removing the back speakers there is more current through the front speakers). The vendor told me I "don't have to". What do you say?

The head unit is from the factory as were the 2 ohm speakers.
  2. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    If they were in parallel you wouldn't have a left or right bank, just front and rear.
  3. crutschow

Mar 14, 2008
    I think he means the front and read speakers for each left and right channel are in parallel.

Nov 30, 2010
    Speaker efficiency varies wildly. The loudness might have little to do with how it's wired compared to how miserable the quality is.
  5. Lestraveled

May 19, 2014
    - Can you control the front to back balance as well as the left to right balance? If you can, then you have four amplifiers that are designed to drive 2 ohms.

- Also when you increase the speaker impedance by a factor of two then you cut the amplifiers output in half.

- Why did you go with 4 ohm speakers?
  6. darrough

Thread Starter Member

Jan 18, 2015
    I have front/back balance but not left/right balance.

I went with these speakers because Crutchfield's website said it was compatible with my car.

So if I disconnect the back speakers could that damage the head unit? It would seem to require less current overall since it should raise the resistance. Still there is no additional current to the front speakers, so no improvement either? Maybe I simply need to put a small amplifier in?