Questions about RF prototyping

Discussion in 'Wireless & RF Design' started by jmsheehan, Mar 31, 2013.

1. jmsheehan

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 31, 2013
    Hello, I am starting to get into RF and was searching around the net for a way to prototype RF without a lot of drawbacks. I read to not build anything on a breadboard cause of stray capacitance between the holes but I was able to breadboard a small RF transmitter that ranged between 87mhz and 108 Mhz without to much trouble. I wanted to know how I can take such a circuit and put it on a perfboard. I know not to use the ones from Radioshack as they are low in quality and also have pretty high stray capacitance between the holes. I am not going to high in frequency. The highest I think I'll ever go in 200 Mhz but would rather say in the ranges of 50- 150Mhz.

I would rather not do " dead bug ", PCB ( new and not wanting to learn how to etch yet), or " Manhattan " styles. But looking for a board or a place to buy boards that are of good quality and maybe have a ground plane on one side ( as I read is a good thing to have )

I also read that FR4 material is good, would that work?

Also, please excuse me, I am just starting to get into RF.

2. paintandsk8

Mar 29, 2013
    I know a development kit would be a good place to start, Atmel has the ATA2270-EK1. Give that a look.