Questions about Privacy settings

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
I recently went to the Privacy settings page to change a setting there, and am confused by some of the settings in the section "People Who May...":
  1. View your details on your profile page
  2. Post messages on your profile page
  3. Receive your news feed
  4. Start conversations with you
  5. View your identities
  6. Can view your blog
I understand what #1, 4, and 6 mean, but I have questions about the others:

#2: Does this setting have any effect? I didn't think it's possible to post messages on a user's profile page anymore since the status message feature has been disabled.
#3: The default option for this is "All Visitors". I don't understand how someone who isn't a member of this forum can receive a news feed from me?
#5: I'm not sure what this permission is referring to?​

Clarification on these settings would be appreciated. Thank you.

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
2 - No, profile posts are disabled
3 - This relates to the 'Recent Activity' tab. Guests can view this if 'All Visitors' is checked.
5. From my understanding 'Identities' are your accounts elsewhere (FB, Twitter) if you have connected them to your account.

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
2 - No, profile posts are disabled
3 - This relates to the 'Recent Activity' tab. Guests can view this if 'All Visitors' is checked.
5. From my understanding 'Identities' are your accounts elsewhere (FB, Twitter) if you have connected them to your account.
Thanks for the explanation. It appears that having #1 set to "Members Only" overrides having #3 set to "All Visitors".