Questions about my homemade Arc Welder

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I seem to have caused some interest. o_O

I don't know what kind of welder I was looking at, except it plugged into an outlet in the U.S. I think it was stick type, not wire fed. I do know the problem was that I couldn't braze copper to Stainless Steel, so the boss was trying to tack weld them together. Not a pretty sight. :(

When he got finished complaining about how I couldn't rehabilitate a $50 junk yard purchase into a $5000 hot vapor circuit board cleaner without replacing tubing that had over a hundred holes in it, I quit.

I can't seem to put up with fools, even if they have a Masters Degree and sign my paycheck. :cool:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There are basically two kinds of SMAW AC DC and both, many that do this for a living swear by the DC variety, my AC version works for me with my limited ability in welding.!
Max.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Have you ever tried to tack weld a copper tube to Stainless Steel?
Just asking. My employer couldn't do it, and he thought he knew everything.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Have you ever tried to tack weld a copper tube to Stainless Steel?
Just asking. My employer couldn't do it, and he thought he knew everything.
In the UK, some car bodgers use copper sheet to repair mufflers.

The copper itself won't weld, but it acts as a heat spreader while welding a patch of sheet steel over the holes without blowing through.

Its illegal to use copper in exhaust construction, but no one can see it with the steel patch welded on.

You could of course braze the copper to the muffler - but the MOT examiner might notice!

The Arc Welder is control circuit electricity is regularly on high wire speed and high voltage setting. I starting process a swap metals at the welding point. It has two part that looks consumed.