question

davoud

Joined Oct 14, 2012
Hi my name is davoud abbasi. I am a student electrical engineering in shahed university of iran Tehran. I want to build a dc to ac inverter with this characteristics output : 220v rms-50Hz-output power(100 watt-10kwatt) input : dc voltage of battery(12v-48v)
According to my studies there are two ways to build a inverter. One way is that in first step convert the dc voltage of battery to high dc voltage with a high frequency converter and in second step invert dc high voltage to ac voltage.
Another way is that in first step invert dc voltage of battery to ac and in second step we can boost voltage to required voltage with boost transformer.
My ask from you is that which one should I choose?
what are the advantages and disadvantages of each one?

Please help me
Thank you very much.

timescope

Joined Dec 14, 2011
First decide the output waveform : square wave, modified sine wave or sine wave. Square wave inverters are relatively simple but are not able to drive all loads and waste a lot of energy. The choice will depend on cost, availability of components (eg high frequency ferrite transformers) and the complexity of the circuit that suits your academic level.

Timescope

HonT

Joined Oct 25, 2012
Hi my name is davoud abbasi. I am a student electrical engineering in shahed university of iran Tehran. I want to build a dc to ac inverter with this characteristics output : 220v rms-50Hz-output power(100 watt-10kwatt) input : dc voltage of battery(12v-48v)
According to my studies there are two ways to build a inverter. One way is that in first step convert the dc voltage of battery to high dc voltage with a high frequency converter and in second step invert dc high voltage to ac voltage.
Another way is that in first step invert dc voltage of battery to ac and in second step we can boost voltage to required voltage with boost transformer.
My ask from you is that which one should I choose?
what are the advantages and disadvantages of each one?

Please help me
Thank you very much.

If you are looking for higher efficiency, you should choose Modified Sine Wave Inverter.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Also realize that at 10KW out you will be drawing over 200Amps from 48V batteries. Add inefficiencies and you are likely talking 250A.

Ken