Question using the textbook in the Education section

Kid347

Joined Aug 14, 2015
I have been trying to teach myself electronics for over a year now, and I came across a plethora a real treasure trove of useful information. But in the Ohm's Law chapter they have a section
Computer Simulation of Electric Circuits

and the teacher is using a program called " Spice" or it says to use notepad in windows. but the latest operating system that is mentioned is Windows XP. I am using windows 10 and I am unable to get my little program to execute. Does anyone have any suggestions. I would really like to follow this textbook all the way through. thank you in advance.

Kid347

Joined Aug 14, 2015
Hi,

Try running it in XP compatible mode. Right click on 'properties' to find that.
this project does not seem to work at all. I do not see an option to put notepad into xp mode. I tried to install the Vim editor but it does not respond to command line commands at all. I think this textbook needs to be updated.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Spice and Notepad are two very different programs. One can use Notepad to create a file for Spice (or LTSpice - a free variant of Spice). But it would be difficult.

I would use LTSpice to write and run my "program". I would not use Notepad at all.

Do you have either Spice or LTSpice?

Kid347

Joined Aug 14, 2015
Spice and Notepad are two very different programs. One can use Notepad to create a file for Spice (or LTSpice - a free variant of Spice). But it would be difficult.

I would use LTSpice to write and run my "program". I would not use Notepad at all.

Do you have either Spice or LTSpice?
no this is the first time I have heard of it. should I download and install? would they benefit my learning of electronics?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Yes

If the teacher is using the program Spice and you don't have it... What do you expect to "run"?

Without seeing the original tutorial, I cannot comment on its value. But I can say that downloading and learning LTSpice would be valuable. Just be prepared for a long learning curve.

Good luck

Kid347

Joined Aug 14, 2015
Is there anyway to contact the creator of the textbook. I would like to ask some questions on some of the content. I also have some suggestions.

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Is there anyway to contact the creator of the textbook. I would like to ask some questions on some of the content. I also have some suggestions.
Leave your comments and suggestions in the Feedback and Suggestions forum in the off topic area. It will make it's way to the author and if approved, you should get listed as a contributor.