Question on IR sensor

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Pratik_S, May 14, 2015.

1. Pratik_S

Thread Starter Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Hello,
    I want to make a code generator which can read the data transmitted from the IR transmitter.
    How can i read the transmitted data from the IR transmitter on my laptop? Is it possible?

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Pratik_S and Hypatia's Protege like this.
  3. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Yes interface the IR demodulator to the notebook (as, for instance, via USB, Rs232, Com or an interface card of your own design)...

FWIW commercially available IR modulators commonly (though certainty not exclusively) operate in the 40Khz region...

Best regards
    HP

4. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Good point, @bertus! --- His computer may already be equipped! :)

Best regards
    HP

5. Pratik_S

Thread Starter Member

Apr 14, 2015
    @bertus @Hypatia's Protege i would modify my question to, I want to simply see the code of the transmitted data from any Remote on my laptop . As different brands of remote controller manufacturer might use different protocols is it possible to see the code generated by them while transmitting data? For this can i interface my laptop to the IR transmitter and see the generated code by it?

6. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

On the following pages of the EDUCYPEDIA, you will find information on the different IR remote control protocols:
    IR remote control
    RC5 code

Bertus

Pratik_S likes this.
  7. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Yes, however acquisition of the protocol details may require reverse-engineering (i.e. 'decompiling') of the driver if they are not published... Once in possession of said details it is a simple matter to develop an application to monitor said communication...

Best regards
    HP

Last edited: May 14, 2015
    Pratik_S likes this.
  8. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    You will need to equip your laptop with a USB dongle to make it into a digital oscilloscope. (Typical product)
    Then you will need an IR photo-transistor, a battery, and a couple of resistors to make a rudimentary IR detector.
    If I was doing this, I would just use my lab oscilloscope in place of the laptop+USB dongle.

9. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Indeed! Intercepting and analyzing the signal may be less labor-intensive than reverse engineering the software -- especially where there is no serious attempt at encryption...

Best regards
    HP:)

10. Pratik_S

Thread Starter Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Using an oscilloscope will just give me the modulated signal in its encoded form, however my point is to decode the transmitted signal and see the generated code which can be read by my laptop.

11. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    There are many libraries for IR Remotes for the Arduino, Teensy or other microprocessors. Some of which will automatically determine the protocol and report it. Then you can indentify the protocol for your specific IR transmitter. Knowing the protocol, you can code specific routines to receive and decode it. You might get some ideas from these libraries, too.

A point of clarification: Do you want to:
    "read the transmitted data from the IR transmitter on my laptop?"​
    or, do you mean:
    "read the transmitted data, from the IR transmitter, on my laptop?"​
    or stated a little differently :
    "on my laptop, read the transmitted data from an IR transmitter?"​

Pratik_S likes this.
  12. Pratik_S

Thread Starter Member

Apr 14, 2015
    To clarify , i want to ,"read the transmitted data, from the IR transmitter, on my laptop?" . As the laptop consist of a processor i do not want to use an Arduino or any other microprocessors for that matter. Can you help me now? Thank you.

13. Reloadron

Jan 15, 2015
    Have you noticed the members responding keep using the word "protocol"? Maybe you should read this Communications protocol article to understand what they are getting at. To read the transmitted data you first need to know the protocol the data was transmitted using. That is what people are trying to communicate to you. When you transmit the data it is encoded based on a protocol. The received data is decoded resulting in a serial bit stream. Unless the protocol is known all you have is useless data because the pulses are meaningless unless the protocol is known. Understand?

Ron

Pratik_S likes this.
  14. Pratik_S

Thread Starter Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Thanks Ron for making it simple to understand. Got the point.

15. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    I was only suggesting the microprocessor be used as a tool, like a DVM or O-scope, to reverse engineer the protocol. (See Ron's post) Also, available libraries for microprocessors could be studied to learn how code your requirement and potentially serve as a template.

You need to understand the protocol. You need to develop routines to recognize the protocol. You need to develop routines to parse the data. You need to decode that data. Other functions will probably need to be added.

Do you know how you are going to program your laptop? What language? How are you going to access the IR Receiver?

16. Reloadron

Jan 15, 2015
    No problem, my pleasure. Now depending on the computer operating system you may want to look into Hyper Terminal which until Windows Vista was included in Windows. Hyper Terminal allowed for easy reading of the serial port and worked quite well. The files were out there for download and I did run Hyper Terminal on Vista and Windows 7 and it worked just fine. It may prove useful to what you are trying to do.

Ron

Pratik_S likes this.
  17. Pratik_S

Thread Starter Member

Apr 14, 2015
    I
    I am a beginner and trying to learn things with all curiosity . I do not know how am i gonna program my laptop . I just found this link which i think is pretty helpful. http://www.instructables.com/id/useful-tool-for-IR-remote-control-protocol-analysi/

18. Reloadron

Jan 15, 2015
    Curiosity is a good thing. :)

Interesting link as it uses the audio inputs rather than reading a serial input like the RS232 port or USB port. That makes it easy to graphically display the data. Using that and a simple photo transistor at least you can see things happening. Pretty cool.

Ron

Pratik_S likes this.
  19. Pratik_S

Thread Starter Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Hey , i am using Windows 8.1 so had to download Hyper Terminal ,now i use it to generate the codes from the remote on my laptop, i have used FT232R and soldered TSOP 1738 to it, i can see the codes on the software , Would like to share that i am not getting same data every time i press the same key from a remote (00 E0 C0 C0 C0 C0 C0 E0 C0 C0 C0 C0 E0 E0 E0 C0 C0 E0 C0 C0 C0 C0 E0 E0 C0 C0 E0 C0 E0 C0 C0 E0 E0 E0 FE FF ; 00 E0 C0 C0 C0 C0 C0 E0 C0 C0 C0 C0 E0 E0 E0 C0 C0 E0 C0 C0 C0 C0 E0 E0 C0 C0 E0 C0 E0 C0 C0 E0 E0 E0 FE FF ) . Can you help me with this? The protocol of the remote i am using is NEC.