Question on Dimmable LED lamps

Johnnyb60

Joined Sep 6, 2013
I have an automatic dimming lamp in my TV room that gradually dims as daylight lightens the room to maintain a set amount of light. The light setting is adjustable from low to full on which works great for incandescent lights, but not good for CFL Lamps.

I’ve had a CFL lamp in it for a number of years now and have kept it full-on high the whole time to avoid flickering. Then I noticed the price of LEDs falling to a reasonable price and I purchased a “Dimmable LED lamp” to replace the CFL and take advantage of the Auto dimming function.

Well the Dimmable LED lamp doesn’t dim so well and acts pretty much the same as the CFL with flickering. I paid extra for the Dimmable LED and I’m wondering if this is just fraud on the Manufactures part or does LEDs require a special dimmer like fluorescent does?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have dimmable LED bulbs from Sylvania and Cree that work with my X10 dimmers; no buzzing or flickering. But they only dim to about 20%.

For $5, it's worth giving a Cree 60W equivalent a try.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I shopped for a dimmer recently, and there are definitely models available that are labeled as being suitable for LEDs. As I recall, they are more expensive than the simplest incandescent dimmers, and more than even the CFL dimmers.

Johnnyb60

Joined Sep 6, 2013
I shopped for a dimmer recently, and there are definitely models available that are labeled as being suitable for LEDs. As I recall, they are more expensive than the simplest incandescent dimmers, and more than even the CFL dimmers.
Thanks, I need to look into that. I'm not sure if i can find one to fit my lamp.

Johnnyb60

Joined Sep 6, 2013
I have dimmable LED bulbs from Sylvania and Cree that work with my X10 dimmers; no buzzing or flickering. But they only dim to about 20%.

For $5, it's worth giving a Cree 60W equivalent a try.
I don't know off hand what brand I have, but I was impressed by a Cree video I saw. I think they were a little more than what I paid, but if they work then it would be cheaper than trying to find a special dimmer. Thanks

Johnnyb60

Joined Sep 6, 2013
OK I did some review searching on the Cree dimmable LED lamps and I found that they only work on LED compatible dimmers. I think that the “Dimmable” label is misleading and should be clarified by adding “with LED compatible dimmers”.

So I guess I’m back to keeping it in the full-ON position and not use the photo adjustable dimmer. :( If I would have known this prior to purchase, I would have kept using the CFL lamp.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
My dimmers predate LED bulbs and they work fine, YMMV.

60W seems to be the sweet spot price wise. The Home Depot stores I've shopped at had the new Cree 60W plastic bulbs for $5 and the older glass style for around $7-8. They cut the warranty period on the new ones.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
They cut the warranty period on the new ones.
That's interesting, since long life of service is the principle selling advantage of these very expensive bulbs. If the manufacturer won't back their own claims, caveat emptor. I'm not sure anyone ever believed them anyway.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
That's interesting, since long life of service is the principle selling advantage of these very expensive bulbs. [snip] I'm not sure anyone ever believed them anyway.
IIRC, the warranty on the original design was 10 years; it's 3 years on the new design. I've had 2 failures in the few dozen I've been using for a year or two. One was broken in the package, and the other died in less than 2 years. It's such a hassle to get a replacement so I'm waiting to see if any more fail in the near future before mailing them in.

As with most LED bulbs, the electronics are the weak point.

FWIW, I've never had a CFL last it's "guaranteed" lifetime and I've never returned any for replacement because it's too much of a hassle.