Question in Web App

brian25

Joined May 13, 2013
hi what is the best app for you in making Website?
i want to use a user friendly and secure app.

thanks.

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
What kind of website? What level of security? Where are you going to host it? What tools, if any, does your hosting company provide?

vpoko

Joined Jan 5, 2012
Dreamweaver is the industry standard for designing websites, but its learning curve is reasonably steep. I've had luck with Microsoft Expression Web for building PHP-enabled websites.

You'll want to consider your platform, though. If you're building an ASP.NET site, for example, Visual Studio might be a better, etc.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I use a small program called kate, and it runs on my Kubuntu box. It's an ordinary text editor.

I've never tried Dreamweaver or Frontpage, or any other.

Joomla is fun to play with, but upgrading from 1.5 to 3.x suxxed big time!

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I've been working on designing a website for a client lately, I originally started with a text editor (notepad++, to be specific) but you have to make sure you set all the settings correctly. If you don't you can get badly sized webpages with little to no organization. I ended up getting Dreamweaver, and while it has taken me a long time to get used to it (I'm still not very good with it, but I can use it), it's a fairly good tool. Just remember if you get frustrated, take a break and go back to it later.

I have not heard very good things about Joomla, there are a lot of limitations that you really can't have for professional sites.

Most of my code has been in HTML, though I have been working with Java, Javascript, and JSPs as well.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
I am teaching myself html. The book I got recommended Notepad++ so that is what I got. I also looked up youtube video that showed how to configure Notepad++ for html.

This is for windows platform.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I am teaching myself html. The book I got recommended Notepad++ so that is what I got. I also looked up youtube video that showed how to configure Notepad++ for html.

This is for windows platform.
Notepad++ is fantastic and I use it for most of my coding (except for when I use dreamweaver). I only got dreamweaver because it's difficult to get the sizing and spacing right for a webpage when using notepad++

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Did you try one of the "upgrade" extensions like jUpgrade/redMigrator?
Yes, I tried some free script and other free tools. It got even more f*'ed up with those.

After installing the latest version on a fresh machine, and test it, I just copied it to the virtual machine I have for the web server.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I'll reiterate the praises for NotePad++ - it is great!

I love being able to define my own syntax highlighting for a custom language and run a batch file to compile it without moving to another window.

Extremely versatile.

At one point I had used both CoffeeCup and Dreamweaver, but found that I could do it faster and to my liking with a text editor.

brian25

Joined May 13, 2013
i have a experience in html using notepad and it's really fun. now that there are many applications in making website it's very hard to adjust what to choose. i'm studying dreamweaver now and shift to CSS because it's closely related to html.

can you give me some links and easy tutorials how to use dreamweaver. thanks

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
i have a experience in html using notepad and it's really fun. now that there are many applications in making website it's very hard to adjust what to choose. i'm studying dreamweaver now and shift to CSS because it's closely related to html.

can you give me some links and easy tutorials how to use dreamweaver. thanks
There really isn't an "easy tutorial" to learn DreamWeaver, it's a very complex program and, in my opinion, is very convoluted, and the WYSIWYG interface almost never works as you want it to. I highly recommend hand-coding most of it.

As for tutorials though, here's one from youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90-r_h9j3Bs

Much of HTML nowadays (namely HTML5) requires the use of CSS, as many of the older tags and options are deprecated. If you ask me, HTML and CSS go hand-in-hand.

Hope this helps!
Matt