Question For The Mods !

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Electric Al, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Electric Al

Thread Starter Member

Nov 6, 2013
    I have been into the site for a year or two , and I had a desktop shortcut for the site .

Now when I try to access the site from the desktop shortcut it brings up error 404 and it will not bring me to the site .

The way I have to go to the site now , is by accessing my favorites , then it works .

Anyone know why ? Should I try to make a new desktop shortcut ?

2. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    The site has been updated today. You need to update your desktop shortcut because some of the page URLs (the thing in the top of your browser with allaboutcircuits.com in it) have changed.

If you are linking to New Posts you want http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/find-new/posts

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  3. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    It is no longer forums.allaboutcircuits.com, but rather forum.allaboutcircuits.com - you'll need to update your shortcut accordingly...

4. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    OMG! This change will break the entire google db.

Usually, when migrating a website to a new platform, I try to sanely redirect links so that google goes somewhere useful.

5. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    Google will figure it out, the database is constantly changing and updating links... When was the last time you saw a dead link on Google?

6. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    Hmm... I can't seem to find any references to forums.allaboutcircuits.com... Maybe it always was the current way....

@Al, what is the URL your shortcut is directing you to?

7. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Don't know when that change occurred. I just clicked on my usual link today and it went straight to the site. I did need to re-enter username and password.

John

8. jrap

Administrator

Jun 25, 2006
    tshuck likes this.
  9. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    Hmmm... That's odd. I got a 404 on my first return once the forum was updated.... I guess it depends in how the URLs are/were....