Question: Encoder & Decoder purpose with RF module.

eng.me

Joined Dec 10, 2012
Hello experts.
Would you please tell me what is the purpose of the ENCODER & DECODE when I want to interface the RF module to microcontroller?

eng.me

Joined Dec 10, 2012
there is not specific ENCODER .
My question is do I need to use ENCODER if I want to interface 8051 MCU with RF module? or not.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
How the hell are we supposed to know?

Don't you think that might depend on exactly WHICH module you are using?

Don't you think that might depend on exactly what kind of signal you are trying to produce?

Don't you think that might depend on exactly what kind of processing you are doing in software within the MCU?

This is like going on to a car forum and asking if I need an adaptor to plug my phone into my car and not providing any information about the phone or the car or what it is I am trying to accomplish!

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
there is not specific ENCODER .
My question is do I need to use ENCODER if I want to interface 8051 MCU with RF module? or not.
If you're talking about the cheap 433MHz or 315MHz RF Modules then the answer is "No" or "it is up to you" depending on where you connect them to the 8051.

If you connect the UART Tx and Rx to the Modules for sending text message, you wouldn't need any encoder or decoder chips like PT2262 or PT2272. But if you just want to switch a couple of LEDs or devices on the remote side ON or OFF, using the 8051 I/O pins, it would be a good idea to use encoder and decoder chips.

From what I read on another forum, you cannot send a permanent logic High or Low on the input of an encoder and expect to light a LED on the output of a decoder on the remote side...

Some RF modules also have the encoders and decoders built-in. Like the ones here

http://www.escol.com.my/Sensors.html#Remote_Control,_Telephone,_Infrared,_DTMF_&_Tone_Decoder_ICs

HTH

Allen

Last edited: