question about starter cap and oiling a synchronous motor

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by tpny, Apr 18, 2013.

1. tpny

Thread Starter Member

May 6, 2012
    I think it's a synchronous motor, it plugs straight to 110VAC and drives a fan blade.. Motor hums but doesn't turn when powered.

It has a cap rated 2uF, I replaced it still doesn't move. I replaced it again with a 4uF and can get it to move when I spin start it with my fingers. Q: Is it ok to double the cap to 4uF like that?

Also, can I oil the gap in between the rotor and the stator? I did that and seems fine as it's spinning now. But should that gap not be oiled?

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    That gap should be a gap. It never needs oil because nothing touches. Apparently, it does touch. Fix the gap.

And put the capacitor back to the size it's supposed to be.

Trying to fix a mechanical problem with electrical experiments will only result in a quick failure.

3. tpny

Thread Starter Member

May 6, 2012
    OK noted! But what might be somethings to watch out for in this case with the motor where I doubled the cap from 2uF to 4uF? Thanks!

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Inappropriate current amount.

5. tinkerman

Jul 22, 2012
    Post a picture if you can. If this is the style I'm thinking. The rotors should never touch on any motor. Did you check the bearings? Many use a bronze bushing. They dry out and wear, then the rotor rubs and won't start. If oiling made a difference then it's likely worn out. Check the laminations. There should signs of rubbing if I'm right. It's possible to replace the bushings if you can find a new one or salvage a good used one. Usually it's better to replace the motor.

6. Metalmann

Dec 8, 2012
    Press in new bearings, or Oilite bushings.