Question about Spartan 3E board.

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by DB51, Jan 22, 2011.

1. DB51

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Hi everyone,

I would like to buy my first FPGA strarter board, I don't have any experience with FPGA.

For begin, I would like to make on FPGA a counter for analog device. Then, i would like to make a Multichannel Analyzer.

But I can't choose between Digilent Spartan 3E Starter Board and Digilent Basys2 FPGA Board. I can't decide whether I need all the features that contain Digilent Spartan 3E Starter Board. Maybe better to buy Digilent Basys2 FPGA Board. For instance, if I will decide to create a project with ADC and FPGA. I can do it with some ADC(DIP case) assembled on BreadBoard and connect all it to Digilent Basys2 FPGA Board. Perhaps in this case it will be more cheaper. To buy Digilent Basys2 FPGA Board and will buy other components when it will be necessary. In this case it will be more cheaper? And it is more useful, because, i need to think carefully how to connect the ADC and the FPGA, that it worked and etc. Or better to buy Digilent Spartan 3E Starter Board that contains a lot of features, because I don't have any experience with FPGA.

By the way, could you tell me please, approximately, how many gates need for simple Multichanal Analyzer, simple because only for learning purpose. And approximately what can be done with 500K gates?

Please advise.

2. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    If your totally commited get the Spartan 3E starter board. If your not sure if your gonna stick with FPGA's and wnat to test the waters I think the academic Basys2 is cheap enough.

3. DB51

Dec 13, 2010
    Thanks for answer

Could you tell me (maybe you know) how to make Multichanal Analyzer(MA)?

Multichanal Analyzer - an electronic instrument, such as a pulse height analyser, that splits an input waveform into a large number of channels in accordance with a particular parameter of the input.

Probably, is a topic for another Thread. I know what i need for make the MA, it is pre-amp, opamp,ADC, Memory for data, interfaces to send data to a PC and etc. But i don't know how to handle the data from ADC. I think MCU slower then FPGA. And FPGA is more promising technology.

Advise me please

4. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Sorry couldn't. I just basically looked at the stats and the price and weighed out the options. The Basys2 was so cheap its hard to not use as a starter board, but the 3E kit has so many bells and whistles if your serious your probably gonna be buying it in a month or two in either case.

As for your MA I would try homework and tell everyone its not really homework. You gotta be careful when getting help with projects though because so many students come here at the last minute looking to get their homework done for them. So rather then asking if anyone knows howto build one or send me some code. Ask maybe for code examples, or ask why does this do that. To many people want to skip the race and just take a cab to the finish line.

5. DB51

Dec 13, 2010
    Thanks for answer.

Yes, probably i will buy 3E kit and i will try make MA on 3E kit.
    May be 3E kit is not best choise for MA, but it is suitable for educational purposes. If MA can't be done with 3E kit, i hope , i will know - why it is impossible:)

6. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Well you also get the benefit of seeing how all the bells and whistles on the 3E kit work together and code examples. So its really worth it. Dev boards are great just to be able to look at the schematics, look at the code, and figure out whats going on. If you get the cheap board and have to manually add say an RTC or something. You will basically be flying blind with the datasheet trying to get them to work together.